what are fairly puncture resistant tyres that are easy to get on and off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Another puncture today....averaging a couple a month at this rate. Got a Shizuoka hoy with the Kendra tyres that came with it. As light as the tyres are I would sacrifice a bit of speed for some puncture resistance. I hear marathon plus are a nightmare to get on so if I did get a puncture (less likely I know) I don't want it to be a real pain to change. Is there such a tyre?

I cycle on a canal towpath (Bridgewater canal) through Trafford and its got some loose gravel to surface it...some of the pieces of gravel are tiny but can be sharp enough to puncture my current tyres.

Some days I cannot be late for work so have to leave an hour earlier just in case I get a puncture. Need something more reliable although I accept there is no such thing as a pun ture resistant tyre. What's the best bet for my needs?

Joffey

Big Dosser
Michelin Pro 4 Endurance. Easy to pop on and off.

the snail

Guru
Continental contact are an excellent alternative to M+ IME, lighter, cheaper and easier to fit, but with excellent protection and durable. Theyre still fairly heavy though - you could look at more roadie types like durano/durano+, gatorskins, bontrager hardcase. Folding tyres are a good option for lower weight and ease of fitting.

Crandoggler

I've been using continental ultra sport 2's whatever the weather and they've been punctured once in over 1000 miles. They're also £9 each at the moment from wiggle.

Sharky

Guru
Continental contact are an excellent alternative to M+ IME, lighter, cheaper and easier to fit, but with excellent protection and durable. Theyre still fairly heavy though - you could look at more roadie types like durano/durano+, gatorskins, bontrager hardcase. Folding tyres are a good option for lower weight and ease of fitting.
+1 for continental contacts (28mm)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I know I'm asking for it, but Vittoria Rubinos have served me pretty well on my daily commute through the cr#p-strewn streets of West London. Under a tenner each.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Rubinos look good value. Schwalbe One have good reviews recently and Marathons are dependable... or if you're OK with slightly less resistance, Luganos and Delta Cruisers may be worth considering.

Look for a tyre with a folding bead. I've had Schwalbe Durano + on one bike for over a year, with no punctures, despite having had to scoop out quite a few bits that would probably have caused a puncture on lesser tyres.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Look for a tyre with a folding bead. I've had Schwalbe Durano + on one bike for over a year, with no punctures, despite having had to scoop out quite a few bits that would probably have caused a puncture on lesser tyres.
+1 for Durano+ as an excellent and robust tyre. They're slicks though, so I'm not sure if they're entirely suited to towpaths which can be a bit muddy. I suppose it depends on the towpath.

I'm tempted to repost my picture of a pallet nail that penetrated my Durano+ tyre but didn't puncture the tube, but it may be getting a bit repetitive. Oh go on. Here it is...
73345-1243a55de824520fcf26c506b38e346c.jpg

Top Bottom