what are fairly puncture resistant tyres that are easy to get on and off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Mean Time Between P$&^*@!*s with Marathon (plain version) is about 2 years.
On a tour up to Norway, I got one of them during the whole journey.
Marathon+ are better suited to situations and riders where fixing it yourself is not going to be an option.

clid61

Veteran
schwalbe land cruisers is what you need ,great on towpaths

Hardrock93

Guru
My first ever Schwalbe Marathon (original) arrived today, 700 x 35c. I approached fitting it with some trepidation. In the event, it almost fell onto the rim, without a tyre lever being needed.

si_c

Guru
Another vote for rubinos, had to replace the rear tyre after 2500 puncture free miles after something punctured the sidewall. Front tyre is still fine.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Veteran
Thanks. This place is great for advice. The schwalbe land cruisers look designed for my towpath really. Do they do them in a 28 size. The current tyre is a Kendra kwick tendrill 28. Also, there seems quite little clearence btween the current tyre and the mudguard (obviously there is clearence though) could a different tyre touch the mudguard or is that unlikely if the current tyres are fine? Thanks again.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Have a look at this...

View: http://youtu.be/-XUFVrl0UT4

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

On Monday I followed this video and I found it even easier to mount the tyre onto a set of Ambrosio Excellence.

Somebody said that with some rims the Michelin Endurance are difficult to fit.... I'd agree with that.... even the brand new michlin pro4 is hard to fit to Archetype rims.

A fellow wheelbuilder said to me last year that fitting the Marathon + was all about the technique and to be honest, I didn't believe it :laugh:.

For somebody that cannot sacrifice speed or the excess weight then the Lugano+ seems like a good choice too.

My decision was to minimise the risk of a puncture to the very minimum and if it does happen, hopefully not, then my wife said she would come to rescue me :smile:, and she insisted I got the M+ but I needed the forum members persuasion to go for them ^_^ and so far I think it was the right decision. They are 600g each and my gatorskin I had before were 380g but I would not buy them again.
I'm yet to find out how good the M+ are in the wet..... hopefully not worse than the gatorskin.

willem

Über Member
Wider tyres have fewer punctures because they can be ridden at lower pressures and roll over rubbish more easily rather than getting punctured. Also, they have fewer snake bites. The argument in favour of them is all the stronger on a towpath: get the widest tyre that will fit your frame. On such surfaces wider tyres are also faster.
Personally, I would use the Conti Topcontact Winter ii in the cold season, and something like the Marathon Racer or Big Apple in the summer. These are the tyres that we have used in our family on our commute bikes, and for all four of us together we average something like one puncture every few years. Admittedly this is in Holland, where the streets are much cleaner. On my own commuter bike I even use the quite fragile Panaracer Pasela Tourguard, and have not yet had a puncture in four years, and that in a student town.
What I have noticed over the years is that it is worthwhile to replace tyres well before they are completely worn. Also, cheap tyres even from major brands are far more puncture prone than the top models.

MarkF

Guru
I use M+'s but have had Continental +'s, I didn't notice any difference riding but did notice the Continentals wear out very quickly compared, my oldest pair of M+'s are still being used after 9 years!

OP, i use them because I switch between road and rough towpath on my regular 40 mile training ride, I haven't bothered to take a repair kit out with me for many years. No punctures means more to me than less weight. Never had any problem fitting 28/32mm M+'s. :blink:

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

united4ever

Veteran
Is there any reason why I couldn't fit 35 size on my bike...seems like the schwlbe land cruisers come in 35. I have 28s at present.

Top Bottom