What are your 'must have'tools for your ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
None if using my hybrid, it's well maintained and has M+'s, a spare tube & levers if using my road bike

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm interested in why so many of you take chain tools. As far as I can tell, the chain breaking is probably one of the least likely events to occur during a bike ride. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just curious :smile:.

As for me, I normally take the following on my commutes and other rides:
  • 2 spare tubes;
  • 2 tyre levers;
  • mini-pump;
  • mini-multi-tool; and
  • the usual daily necessities: wallet, keys, phone, work Id card.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I'm interested in why so many of you take chain tools. As far as I can tell, the chain breaking is probably one of the least likely events to occur during a bike ride. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, just curious :smile:.

• 2 spare tubes;
  • 2 tyre levers;
  • mini-pump;
  • mini-multi-tool; and

I once had a chain link break whilst honking up a hill. only one of the side plates broke so could still ride but in a low gear and high cadence.

Granted, I was new to cycling at the time and the chain was worn out, but I've carried a tool ever since. Only once used it - to help someone who had a long walk home.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I find that a well maintained bike needs virtually no roadside repair other than replacing a punctured tube.

but I carry a tyre boot (empty toothpaste tube) and cable ties as well as tyre levers, pump and two tubes. I also carry bits of padded bubble wrap to lie on the floor to not scratch the saddle & handlebars when upside down.

Mo1959

Legendary Member

• 2 spare tubes;
  • 2 tyre levers;
  • mini-pump;
  • mini-multi-tool; and
Mine broke about ten miles from home and not a blinder stopped so I had to walk the whole way home. Started carrying a chain tool and quick link since then.

young Ed

Veteran
spare tube, multi tool with all necessary allen keys and chain breaker, CO2 inflator and of course i have to have the nokia with me, i mean imagine if a cow were to break out of a field knock me off and do a runner!

soon to add:
glueless patches
Pump
powerlink
Cheers Ed

G3CWI

Veteran
Mine broke about ten miles from home and not a blinder stopped so I had to walk the whole way home. Started carrying a chain tool and quick link since then.

A broken chain is a show stopper without a chain tool. I have had two broken chains this year (none in the previous 30 years).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

• 2 spare tubes;
  • 2 tyre levers;
  • mini-pump;
  • mini-multi-tool; and
See THIS POST

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm interested in why so many of you take chain tools. As far as I can tell, the chain breaking is probably one of the least likely events to occur during a bike ride.
It has happened and it would have been a very long walk home - or more likely a long wait and bike recovery - if a kind person with a chain tool had not stopped. The chain is one of very few parts that are exposed and hard to bodge if they fail. Also as chains get thinner, they seem to fail more often.

stephec

Legendary Member

I'd have stopped for you Mo. :smile:

In fact I once adjusted a very nice young lady's gears for her on her new supermarket MTB, her chain was jammed between the drop out and smallest sprocket.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'd have stopped for you Mo. :smile:

In fact I once adjusted a very nice young lady's gears for her on her new supermarket MTB, her chain was jammed between the drop out and smallest sprocket.
I live in hope that one day, I'll meet a pretty commuter who needs her bottom bracket adjusted (after all, I was born with a built-in bottom bracket adjustment tool) :whistle:.

Top Bottom