What bike to replace my dead hybrid commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely bike! Steel doesn't get enough love around here.

I have only washed my new (well, it was new last October) Surly Straggler once. 2000 miles in the chain needed swapping, then I realised I'd worn my chainrings and cassette too (not to matter, the chainset was off my old frameset and previously had 6k on it.

Because I built up with 9 speed, I replaced the whole drivetrain for <£70, (except the derailleur jockeys which were still good!).

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Clocked up 1000 miles on the Kona yesterday. Still happy with the choice and no problems other than the issues when commisioning it in the first place. It clearly isn't the hybrid it replaces but we are getting to know each other now.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
UPDATE.

Had to replace the original chain last week after the 0.75% wear gauge dropped in. Had covered 1600 miles at this point so fairly typical wear rate going off past experience. Was worried that I had missed the opportunity to fit a new chain without also swapping cassettes but have since covered another 60 miles without a single skip :highfive:

Next chain swap will most likely need the cassette to be replaced and should be about 3000+ miles. One thing I have noticed is that the big chainring looks worn while the smaller/inner ring looks good as new. I need to start using the inner a bit more, those tiagra outer rings look expensive £££

mythste

Veteran
UPDATE.

Had to replace the original chain last week after the 0.75% wear gauge dropped in. Had covered 1600 miles at this point so fairly typical wear rate going off past experience. Was worried that I had missed the opportunity to fit a new chain without also swapping cassettes but have since covered another 60 miles without a single skip :highfive:

Next chain swap will most likely need the cassette to be replaced and should be about 3000+ miles. One thing I have noticed is that the big chainring looks worn while the smaller/inner ring looks good as new. I need to start using the inner a bit more, those tiagra outer rings look expensive £££

"Oh look at me, I'm so strong and powerful in my big ring all the time". :whistle:^_^

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
UPDATE #2

Just replaced the brakes and shifters on this bike. Fitted Tiagra hydraulic brakes which isn't straightforward as it involves re-cabling the gears and wrapping the bars (one of my least favourite jobs), but initial feel without a test ride is wow! Brake feel at the lever is transformed. These are the brakes this bike should have been sold with. All my other bikes have hydraulic brakes and they are superb. I am very much looking forward to tomorrow's commute/test ride. :hyper:

Top Bottom