What bike to replace my dead hybrid commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The bike with the drop outs you like has - I think - a through axle.

Only looking at through axle bikes should prevent any further drop out disappointment.

Road bikes are not my thing, but through axles seem ever more popular so there may be something to suit.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As soon as I saw that green I knew it was a Kona.
Great bikes. Loved my Green Kona. It served me very well for commuting duties. Only got rid of it as the frame twisted in a collision with a minivan.

full?d=1427901932.jpg

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A Light Blue or a Shand, bit more left of field, like you....
£££Shand :eek:

I know I am not easily classed as poor but crikey!

The Light Blue options are more reasonably priced but still not feeling the love. Not seen the interchangeable drop-outs before and both Shand & Light Blue do them.

Looking at the Shand price tags makes the Kona look like a bargain. Also, not sure I have mentioned this upthread but if registered with Kona shortly after purchase the Wheelhouse benefits from a lifetime frame warranty for the original owner :okay:

upload_2018-9-19_14-3-54.png

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thru axles, presumably you’ll need new wheels. Which may not be an issue of course
There are two options open to me.

A full new bike and to hell with the expense. This means I will scrap the old commuter for whatever parts I want to keep and dispose of the rest appropriately.

Swap to a new frame. This would have to be a traditional QR style frame or else it makes more sense just to get a new bike.

To be honest, the new bike option is making more sense as even though only the frame is cracked on the old bike the rest of the components have also had similar wear and tear so may not be far behind? Of course, they have been maintained and could last as long again or more.....

vickster

Legendary Member
New shiny bike is always a no brainier

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Boardman might have been in the running if it wasn't almost the same price as the Kona and I have also had that 105/hydraulic groupset and didn't get on with it at all. My current Ultegra/hydraulic is like a product from a different manufacturer in comparison. Even my old 9spd Tiagra groupset is still miles more pleasant to use and shifts more crisply and reliably than the 105!

Condor Frattello is quite nice but again, at that price for only the frameset it just doesn't work. I think my problem is that I want a Planet X Kaffenback frame for £250-300 and any other frame set is just over priced in comparison.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Boardman might have been in the running if it wasn't almost the same price as the Kona and I have also had that 105/hydraulic groupset and didn't get on with it at all. My current Ultegra/hydraulic is like a product from a different manufacturer in comparison. Even my old 9spd Tiagra groupset is still miles more pleasant to use and shifts more crisply and reliably than the 105!
One last mention for the (very strong aluminium) CAADX - there is currently a 60 cm bike on eBay for £700 (or offers). The owner has upgraded the shifters and brakes to Ultegra/hydraulic from 105, and it has a new chainset, cassette and chain ... :whistle: (Located in Garstang, so relatively handy for checking out before a purchase?)

Email Planetx about the Kaffenbach. If it's a long lead time or you don't get an answer, go for the Kona. I'd also throw a sideways curve into the mix and suggest a planetx titanium, maybe the Spitfire or the Pickenflick Ti frameset.

Top Bottom