What book are you currently reading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raising Steam - Terry Pratchett. I like his books and it's good to see he's still on good form despite his health. My only observation is that the ending feels something of a rush, as though there were slightly too many ideas for one story.....:thumbsup:

Struggling with Raising Steam. It just seems to be missing something even taking circumstances into account. Dodger was the same for me - first book in an extremely long time I have not finished.. :sad:

just finished The Last Days of the Incas by Kim Macquarrie which was fascinating. i'm not sure who i wanted to win (although i knew the outcome) as both sides were pretty nasty, but the Spaniards' defence of Cuzco where fewer than 200 of them were attacked bu 200,000 Incas and held out for over a year, did have you rooting for them for sheer bravery.

the only downside was a tendency to be a bit too american and recapping events that you'd already read about (think dramatic documentary programmes for the hard of thinking where after each ad break there is a resume).

nest on the list... some polar exploration, methinks.

gbb

Legendary Member
Max Hastings..Catastrophe- Europe Goes To War 1914

First World war stuff doesnt usually do it for me, but it gives a picture of the build up, the political aims and worries of european nations etc etc.
Only two chapters in, but you already get the feeling although the events in Sarajevo didnt seem particually important to those at the time, war seemed to be inevitable given the huge social and military changes that were sweeping across europe.
Excellent so far.

RedRider

Pulling through
Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol, a Penguin Classics version. Started reading this some years ago before leaving it on a train so my second go. Hard to believe it was written 160 years ago. Dead good.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
A Michael Connelly duet; The Black Echo and The Black Ice - Harry Bosch detective stories.

I've read The Redeemer, which I thought was great. The Bat has made me want to read more of him, so thanks, I'll download The Cockroaches now Dayvo.

They're are all outstanding works, Cuby!

There was an order in which they should have been read, but his publishers in England started with his 3rd book, IIRC.

Headhunters is a book not connected to Harry Hole and is probably the most exciting, IMO.

Happy reading.

Top Bottom