What didn't you get away with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Inspired by Darkstar's feet on seats problem, have you ever done something and NOT got away with it. Post it here to get a right frying by the CC lynch mob.

Me, I was (as a young squaddie - no excuse though) caught as a fare dodger on German trams in the 1980's.

Two blokes in long leather coats (looked like Gestapo) carted me off the tram and into a police van. Cost me 100 marks - £30 if memory serves?

I got my younger brother stuck up a disused lift shaft in Kuwait in the 1970s, when he was four or five years old. Did I get a bollocking from my parents that evening.;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I didn't get away with claiming that a complete stranger had thrown a bucket of muddy water over me when I squelched my way into the house after breaking through and going under the ice on a frozen pond in the 1960's.:blush:

I did get away with not drowning though ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
I have to fess uip to once getting a speeding ticket and regret not contesting it. I was on that dangerous road from Skipton to Harrogate and came up behind a slow moving tractor. Had I not got past it, I would have been stuck behind it for several miles so seeing clear road ahead, I pulled out and overtook him. Unfortunately, in doing so, I passed a police car parked at the side of the road in a dip where he couldn't be seen. Even so, surely I wasn't going too fast? Seems I was, temporarily right at the point he was parked! I always alway always obey the limit as my job depends on it but he reckoned I was travelling at 72 as I passed him and I was too young and inexperienced to challenge him so accepted the punishment. It remains, in almost one million miles of driving, the only blemish on my licence and I still reckon had it not been for the tractor, the licence would be pristine.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
PaulB said:
I have to fess uip to once getting a speeding ticket and regret not contesting it. I was on that dangerous road from Skipton to Harrogate and came up behind a slow moving tractor. Had I not got past it, I would have been stuck behind it for several miles so seeing clear road ahead, I pulled out and overtook him. Unfortunately, in doing so, I passed a police car parked at the side of the road in a dip where he couldn't be seen. Even so, surely I wasn't going too fast? Seems I was, temporarily right at the point he was parked! I always alway always obey the limit as my job depends on it but he reckoned I was travelling at 72 as I passed him and I was too young and inexperienced to challenge him so accepted the punishment. It remains, in almost one million miles of driving, the only blemish on my licence and I still reckon had it not been for the tractor, the licence would be pristine.

Hissssssssssss ;)

yello

I got done on the U-Bahn in Hamburg. The station ticket office was closed and the machine wouldn't take a €50 note - the only money I'd got. So I decided to risk it. Literally, as the doors closed, 3 guys pulled out their inspector badges and asked to see tickets... I doubt the train had even gone 10 metres!

They said I should have changed the note and bought a ticket (there was no shop in the station). At the next station, they made me get off the train and they marched me to a ticket machine and made me buy a 5 day pass!

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
yello said:
I got done on the U-Bahn in Hamburg. The station ticket office was closed and the machine wouldn't take a €50 note - the only money I'd got. So I decided to risk it. Literally, as the doors closed, 3 guys pulled out their inspector badges and asked to see tickets... I doubt the train had even gone 10 metres!

They said I should have changed the note and bought a ticket (there was no shop in the station). At the next station, they made me get off the train and they marched me to a ticket machine and made me buy a 5 day pass!

I feel your pain bro' ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Speeding ticket, Co Durham, 2002.
We were on our way up to Northumberland to house hunt. It was about 7am. The road was bleedin' well empty, apart from us. Police with nowt better to do clocked us from a bridge. However, as I was so compliant and polite, they said they'd log my speed at their first observation (90mph) rather than their second (96mph) the second could have led to more points and a bigger fine (so they said). £60 and 3 points.
I don't usually speed, but now I really really don't speed, to the extent where my kids tell me I drive like an OAP ;)

I've had two speeding tickets and have been caught for fare dodging on the train once. All a very long time ago (of course).

My brother though....oh boy...when he was 16 and my parents went away on holiday, he went for a drive in my mum's car. And got pulled. He absolutely SHAT himself...and got off with a caution. What was that about?!?

I once clocked on for a night shift driving empty pallets around. I started at 6pm, had a cuppa, then drove for all of three minutes before running a red light. (Accidentally.) Unfortunately, I nearly flattened a police car, whose driver understandably pulled me over. The conversation went something like:

WPC: "You picked the wrong time to run a red light, diidn't you driver?"
Me: "Did I? I'm ever so sorry, I had no idea."
WPC: "Hmm, well. How long is it since you had a break?"
Me: "Errr ... quite a while."
WPC: "Well, you look knackered. Park up for half an hour and get some kip."
Me: "Of course, officer. I can only apologise, can't think why I didn't see it."

I didn't feel the need to tell her I'd been at work for less than an hour.:biggrin:

Really, this should be in the "what did you get away with thread.;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If you are talking about being prosecuted then this will do for me - lifted from one of my responses in Darkstar's thread

I've done daft things in the past including racing a police car thinking it was my mate in pursuit - how's that for stupidity? but I've always accepted the consequences with good grace.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

I dropped a girlfriend off to go babysitting. I then went off with another girl for some fun in the village bus shelter. Girl 1 saw me walk past with girl 2 and there was a right old barny at the bus stop, and it wasn't down to the lateness of the No 43.

U

User169

Kirstie said:
My brother though....oh boy...when he was 16 and my parents went away on holiday, he went for a drive in my mum's car. And got pulled. He absolutely SHAT himself...and got off with a caution. What was that about?!?

I have a friend who did that - went through someones front hedge, but got home thinking he'd got away with it. He noticed a slight problem the next day when it became apparent that the front reg plate was missing. Can't remember the outcome - nothing major I think.

Top Bottom