What do you intend on doing on the 4th July.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Shift workers; weekend workers. I am one of those odd people who have days off during the week. Whether or not I make use of this offer remains to be seen, I might well do.
I do...much better than Friday or Saturday when busy (and can’t use taste card :unsure:)

Ah yes, fair enough... I was a shift worker for something like 20 years so I should understand that, and I admit I enjoyed a nice quiet team meal out on a Tuesday from time to time! But it really wasn't often. Not like "3 times this August, almost single handedly saving the economy" often. In fact it was so periodic that I can remember each meal and which shift members came out! Leaving dos, birthdays etc, and then no more than once a month. I was on a public salary and eating out twice in a month stretched the budget somewhat.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Who the crivens goes out for a meal Monday to Wednesday for leisure? I might sometimes eat out on those evenings
Not many, that's why he's doing it. Why encourage people to spend on the nights they already spend on. If he offered it all week then it would have very little economic benefit. Get people to come out an extra night is the idea.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Do I have this right, a £50 meal out for 2 with Tastecard discount would be £25, then the exchequer will pay ten pounds each of that, so a fiver of the customer's money spent?
This helps the restaurant owner? I'm not terribly convinced I have to say and I bet claiming back the 10 pounds per person is a royal pain for the business.

I've just been watching one restaurant owner on BBC Breakfast and she's not convinced it helps her either. What she would like apparently is help with her rates and rent and those overheads that have not gone away this spring and summer.

Some Wetherspoons will be full of oldies Monday-Wednesday August a certainty. Moreover it may become a habit exactly what's wanted.
As i understand it, companies/outfits need to apply to be part of the scheme. Not yet really announced where this discount will be available yet.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

And surely it makes perfect sense in a pandemic to get people in public places over a greater spread of time??
That's what it is supposed to achieve. People going out on the quite nights. It's also supposed to help business financially.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Notafettler

Perhaps others here only spend money with morally squeaky clean business owners; I couldn't say.
The ones that are under the radar as opposed to Wetherspoons who are constantly attacked by the BBC and the middle class who would never lower themselves to go it to such a working class world.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

As i understand it, companies/outfits need to apply to be part of the scheme. Not yet really announced where this discount will be available yet.
I do think Wetherspoons will be quick to apply, very quick. I don't use it myself as they don't allow dogs in. I am trying to get a "my owner is deaf coat" for her!!
I really would like my normal coffee shop and pub to apply. If the pub does I will buy meals that are suitable for the freezer. I will take in Tupperware type boxes and order 3 meals pack up two for the freezer. If that doesn't help them nothing will. Maybe 4 meals.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do I have this right, a £50 meal out for 2 with Tastecard discount would be £25, then the exchequer will pay ten pounds each of that, so a fiver of the customer's money spent?
This helps the restaurant owner? I'm not terribly convinced I have to say and I bet claiming back the 10 pounds per person is a royal pain for the business.

I've just been watching one restaurant owner on BBC Breakfast and she's not convinced it helps her either. What she would like apparently is help with her rates and rent and those overheads that have not gone away this spring and summer.
Tastecard doesn’t cover sides, drinks or tip, and it’s 241 usually and not 50% off (usually you pay for more expensive dish of the two).

National gallery reopened. Won't be going. You have to book a timed slot, follow a one way fixed route you decide in advance, give all your details.
Sod that.
The painted useless saints can wait.

Top Bottom