What do you miss from long ago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Diana Dors.
And she was in one of my favourite nostalgic films - "A boy, a girl and a Bicycle" as was the late Honor Blackman.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
At 72, I miss:

1. my youthful energy,
2. "real" rice pudding, ie made, not from a tin
3. a local delicacy, fresh baked Stottie Cake (a sort of flat bread, you can still buy it, but, not freshly baked).
4. "real" black pudding, with skin you could not cut, and, lots of "white bits" (fat).

Sharky

Guru
Shops being closed on Sundays and bank holidays ..... Oh! the wait for the toy shop to open after Christmas/ new year .....
Yes, we used to go round our local supermarket on a Sunday with our kids and their bikes and rollerskates. Great fun.
Also miss our kids, they seem to have grown up and fled the nest and are taking their own kids to the local parks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
On The Buses.
Rather than 'On the buses' I miss the buses themselves. Those wonderful open rear platform RTs and Routemasters. You could jump on and off when you wanted. As a kid I would get a Red Rover and travel all over London with my mate from school spotting numbers. We would stamp on the floor upstairs at a stop so the driver took off before he should thinking it was the conductor, before we got thrown off.
Happy days of simple pleasures.

Sharky

Guru
Rather than 'On the buses' I miss the buses themselves. Those wonderful open rear platform RTs and Routemasters. You could jump on and off when you wanted. As a kid I would get a Red Rover and travel all over London with my mate from school spotting numbers. We would stamp on the floor upstairs at a stop so the driver took off before he should thinking it was the conductor, before we got thrown off.
Happy days of simple pleasures.
It was Trolley Buses going past our house and one night, the overhead cable must have shorted out as it was going past and lit up the road like Blackpool illuminations.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Life before the scourge of the mobile phone. How did we ever manage before you could be contacted wherever you were, when conversations weren't interrupted by "I've got to take this", when people didn't have their noses in their social media instead of talking to the people who were actually there. Endless texting all around you. When every tiny thing that happens is recorded by some passer by with a camera/video phone. Except when you really need some back up evidence eg after an accident. When everyone has to have a drawer full of chargers to cater for various generations of obsolete phones. 3G 4G 5G. Built in accelerated obsolescence. Pusillanimous battery life. Aaargh! Aaargh! Did I say Aaargh? And Aaargh again!

Top Bottom