What do you recommend to avoid butt soreness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jani

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to ask you a question about butt soreness. I hadn't have problem with it before but in the last couple of weeks I feel the pain is getting worse and it's bothering me. I raised the saddle a few weeks ago because I learned it's not on the proper position since my knees bended when I stood on the paddle. It may have something to with it but if not can you give me advice what I should do to avoid butt soreness. I read a few things online about it but I'm wondering what your suggestions are.

Thanks!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Decent cycling attite, a saddle that works for you and acclimatisation - more time in the saddle.
Saddles should be firm not padded and shorts also light/ thinnish in padding.
You should sit in your ‘sit bones’.

The caveat being that butt-soreness manifests itself in many ways....

What saddle? What kind of bike? What are you wearing? How far, how often?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Saddle height won't have much effect on bum soreness, if that's what's worrying you. More likely to be your saddle doesn't suit you either due to shape or its not supporting your sit bones correctly.
Padded shorts may help. I should try to find a good cycle shop and see what different saddles they offer.
You don't say if you're male or female.

OP
OP
J

Jani

Decent cycling attite, a saddle that works for you and acclimatisation - more time in the saddle.
Saddles should be firm not padded and shorts also light/ thinnish in padding.
You should sit in your ‘sit bones’.

The caveat being that butt-soreness manifests itself in many ways....

What saddle? What kind of bike? What are you wearing? How far, how often?
I started ride a bike like few month ago and I ride 3 times per 30 kms each a week on MTB (2 hours ride every time). I have a cheap Houser ... I wear shorts.

OP
OP
J

Jani

Saddle height won't have much effect on bum soreness, if that's what's worrying you. More likely to be your saddle doesn't suit you either due to shape or its not supporting your sit bones correctly.
Padded shorts may help. I should try to find a good cycle shop and see what different saddles they offer.
You don't say if you're male or female.
Thanks. I'm male btw.
Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I started ride a bike like few month ago and I ride 3 times per 30 kms each a week on MTB (2 hours ride every time). I have a cheap Houser ... I wear shorts.
Sorry, what’s a cheap houser? Shorts... regular or cycle specific? How is the saddle, male/women soecific, gel/padded etc? Where soecifically does it hurt?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
As fab foodie says, i depends on a lot of things. Good cycling shorts are a must. More time in the saddle is another.

The most important things are the saddle. The type of saddle ? How hard or soft is it ? Did you get a saddle fit? Softer is not better. There are a few LBS where you can try out a saddle first to see if it is the right one for you and they will make sure it is the right size to atart with.

Saddles are a very personal choice. What suits one person will feel horrible to another. I finally found relief when i bought a Brooks saddle. People love them or hate them. They are very much like Marmite.

I am afraid it may take some time to find the right one for you. My advice would be to find an LBS that will lt you try before you buy.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

Jani

Sorry, what’s a cheap houser? Shorts... regular or cycle specific? How is the saddle, women soecific, gel/padded etc? Where soecifically does it hurt?

Bike cost like 100 £. I wear regular shorts not cycle specific. I don't know much about the saddle I guess it's the most casual one you can get. My butt hurts and it's really bothering during ride. Even sometimes when I just sit .

welsh dragon

Bike cost like 100 £. I wear regular shorts not cycle specific. I don't know much about the saddle I guess it's the most casual one you can get. My butt hurts and it's really bothering during ride. Even sometimes when I just sit .

First thng you should do i buy padded cycling shorts, and don't wear anything underneath them

OP
OP
J

Jani

As fab foodie says, i depends on a lot of things. Good cycling shorts are a must. More time in the saddle is another.

The most important things are the saddle. The type of saddle ? How hard or soft is it ? Did you get a saddle fit? Softer is not better. There are a few LBS where you can try out a saddle first to see if it is the right one for you and they will make sure it is the right size to atart with.

Saddles are a very personal choice. What suits one person will feel horrible to another. I finally found relief when i bought a Brooks saddle. People love them or hate them. They are very much like Marmite.

I am afraid it may take some time to find the right one for you. My advice would be to find an LBS that will lt you try before you buy.

Good luck.

It's a harder one. I mean the saddle. Thanks for the answer.
On the other hand it sounds tricky that there are different types of saddles. :S

U

User6179

I have found saddle shape the most important after you know the correct width, for me it is a flatter saddle across the sit bones, rounded feels like I am sitting on a pipe, we are all different so you need to find what shape fits you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe I go with buying a cycle specific shorts and I see if it helps. If not I'm afraid I should buy a new saddle..on what price can I get a proper one?
Price isn't a determining factor in saddle comfort. Trial and error. You do have saddle level as a starting point, check with spirit level

What part of your anatomy is sore? Sit bones or fleshy parts?

Padded shorts a good start. I couldn't do 30lm without padding personally

welsh dragon

Maybe I go with buying a cycle specific shorts and I see if it helps. If not I'm afraid I should buy a new saddle..on what price can I get a proper one?

Good idea with the cycling shorts. Also as well as moving the saddle up and down, try moving it further back or forward. That might help. And you could try pointing the nose of the saddle higher than the back of the sadle or vice versa. Lowering the nose might take the pressure off more delicate areas.

Top Bottom