what do you think of the CTC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Although I don't live in London i joined LCC, primarily for the insurance cover, plus they gave a better oldies membership discount than BC. I have never had dealings with CTC so cannot make a comment from experience but I equate them with the Ramblers who I have had dealings with. Oh, and I am also a member of the Caravan and Camping Club.

thom

____
Dad's army on bikes

Davidc

Guru
It's OK.
Magazine is sometimes interesting
Insurance is good and serves all my needs
BC strikes me as being for competitive and speedy cyclists only, and I've been neither for years.
Like having the legal bit in the background for if I need it
I like its campaigning and cycling promotion activities
I'll renew for another five years next year.
Looks as if it'll go the way of other organisations I've seen go the charity route - downhill.

Needs a new tag line the present one's dire
Needs a facelift.

Ben M

They organise rides which are great for people like my mum. But for me their rides feel like a competition to see how slowly you can go without falling off.

byegad

Legendary Member
I joined BC but apart from the insurance and Quidco cashback it offers me very little. It seems to focuses towards competitive riding and everything lese is secondary. As for the Wiggle (so called) discount .. that's just a joke.

I might try CTC next year, as long as a Harold Shipman style beard isn't prerequisite

Sadly the CTC discount at Wiggle was/is equally useless. I want the insurance and priced 3rd party liability to the same level as BC at £44/annum, so I don't really expect anything else from them. As for Cycle, as a recumbent rider I think I've seen 2 or 3 articles in the last 12 years that interested me enough to think the subscription worth it for that article, if only there was one in each issue.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Full of old men with beard and sandals.
Slow
Boring
Rubbish website
Pointless
Touring and panniers

I went on one CTC ride..never again. They were just so painfully slow, I could have run faster. God help you if your bike didn't have mudguards...moan moan moan.
As someone else said it's a caravan club for old cyclists.
Went with BC as at least they are active nationally, have varied organised events and races and the insurance is top knotch. I think ever since the ascendance of BC due to the 'Mamil effect' of our sport becoming more popular, CTC have found themselves irrelevant to some degree and don't seem to be able to change.

I don't think the CTC should be underestimated. They are stil campaigning for cyclist rights and have won a few landmark decisions. I can't think of anyone else doing that. LCC is irrelevant to me as far as I can see. BC is the better face of cycling now but it's nowhere near as effective for the average cyclist. Still, the CTC, like the YHA, has walked off the path and is struggling to find it's way, I would no longer join it, whereas, once, many years ago, I aspired to.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I joined back in the early 1980's when "THE" CTC did what it said on the tin. Now it's a charity( I voted against) and has lost it's way. It was a source of invaluable info regarding my 1985 LEJOG and the old B&B handbook was great.
My DA ( now member group!) has a large and varied programme of events that I take part in and thoroughly enjoy with a varied cross section of riders.
All this charity and mtb stuff doesn't really belong, in my humble opinion.
The Cyclists' Touring Club, a club for and about "touring cyclists" surely, or have I missed the point? All the other stuff belongs elsewhere.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
They do some good work in Leicester. They promote cycling with various groups and provide cycle training. They also do a lot of events aimed at younger riders where a Dr. Bike stall is provided to sort out their bikes and get them in working order. I can tell you from experience that this particular facility is made very good use of by the kids who bring their bikes along needing complete brake overhauls and other such things. It has a real effect on getting the children on their bikes and learning some bike craft as well, both on and off road.
They organise rides for specific groups with elderly riders catered for as well as the besandaled middle aged.
I would agree with some comments here that they perhaps don't let people know enough about the good things they are doing.
Besides the immediate benefits of being a member it is good to know that membership is helping encourage a cycling culture throughout the country.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well, thank you all.

I used to be on the Council, but now I'm just a customer (albeit a customer hundreds of times over). I hear the beards and sandals thing a lot - and it's not entirely inaccurate - but the thing that strikes me is how little the things that precipitated the change to charity status figure in people's perceptions. Then again, since I was one of the Gang of Four who delayed the conversion by a year, perhaps I would say that.

It is possible to join for sixteen quid via an affiliate, but, then again, if people don't know that then they should be doing more to get the information across.

BC's recent profile raising has clearly had an effect on some people. If they ever get around to doing anything to justify the profile I'll be amazed.

Sara_H

Guru
I'm a CTC member. I joined primarily because I wanted insurance, and their ethos matched my outlook more than Tjat of British Cycling. However, I've recently been very disappointed in their support for crap government funding announcements and the niceway code and don't think I'll be renewing my subscription.

Top Bottom