So I looked up novantasei (96 in Italian) and it's just baffling. It's world I don't inhabit. I try not to knock or mock things I don't really understand or have any experience of. So I'll just class it as "a bit weird".
Basically they're trying to summon the spirit of the immediately pre-Lugano charter days. I do have some vague memories, and I have read Graeme Obree's book. So I kind of know what that's about.
but this is the thing, that was 30 years ago right, so who are Rapha targetting ? the GenX market reminiscing about it or the GenZ/Millennials who havent a clue what any of thats about.
neither set of groups have a particular hook or draw in to that stuff, its not nostalgia and its not like a 90s revival, its like they went well that EF education skater 90s kit we did 5 years ago did really well, lets try and recreate 90s stuff, not understanding the bigger sell on that EF kit was the collab with Palace and the whole skateboarding scene.
had they done another standalone Palace 90s thing without EF would have been a sell out imo, Attaquer keep doing it with Kappa, even though I think their latest attempt is rubbish and they should have just redone their original kit take but its 90s stuff and its selling to the GenZ/Millennials who are the bigger market/disposable income. Us GenXs are all near retirement age now
but thats the point theres money to be made out there in the kit world if you choose what you do understanding the market you are in. I dont think Rapha execs get that anymore