What do you wear downstairs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjc89

Über Member
With a lot of cycling gear it is a case of you get what you pay for. Sometimes by trying to save money you end up having to replace items more often.
As others have said more expensive kit i.e shorts will have better padding and being uncomfortable in those regions when on a ride is not a nice thing for a bloke.
The thing to do is keep an eye on all the big retailers for their sales and look for the better quality stuff when it has large reductions on it.

What is the threshold between cheap and expensive? Like what would you expect to spend on a decent long lasting pair of shorts?

172traindriver

Legendary Member
What is the threshold between cheap and expensive? Like what would you expect to spend on a decent long lasting pair of shorts?

I swear by Northwave gear, be it bib shorts, 3/4 or full longs.
I just got some Northwave Blade 3/4 bib shorts from Wigglle in the sale for £45. I wear 3/4 shorts a lot ideal for keeping you knees warm.
They have stiil currently got Northwave bib shorts for £45. It is a matter of choice, others would obviously name other brands.
I did the Flat out in the Fens 112 mile ride back in June and felt comfortable after 6 hours on the saddle, so they work for me.

Octet

Veteran

Maybe about £20 + for Shorts and £40 + for a Bib
I have a pair of Tenn 8 Panel shorts which I got online (Amazon) for £23 and they seem high enough quality and they are certainly comfortable.
Providing you get it from a proper brand (such as Tenn) and not an in store make (such as Muddyfox, not that I have anything wrong with them) or a no named brand then you should be fine.

oldroadman

Veteran
If see through is a worry, only wear dark colours. Forget underwear. I once saw a young lady happily pedalling along with white shorts, and the outline a a very tiny pair of black nicks showing through. Can quite slow you up, that sort of thing!
Serious, if you want chafing and discomfort, underwear. Then if it's just a pootle down to the shops, why wear lycra, when ordinary clothes work OK. See Netherlands, every town, thousands of 'em ambling around on big old comfy bikes with big old comfy seats.

Lee_M

Guru
I only have two pairs of road shorts at the moment, the decathlon pair are ok, and cost about £15.

The other pair (can't remember the name) were ludicrously expensive, but the difference is amazing.

Snug, well fitted, and the padding is much much much better

Not sure if they are worth the difference all the time but after 40 odd miles they are!

For me it seems to be around the $100 (£60) mark. I picked up a pair of LG Carbon Lazer bibs a few months back and was sold. This is the only bib I'll be buying for a while.

I'm a non swimmer.

Right, stay with me on this - hypothetically, let's say you enrolled in swimming lessons tomorrow - would you line up at the side of the pool with pants on under your speedos..?? You probably ought to, given that you would effectively be 'in public', n all...

Boon 51

Veteran
So does the bike saddle have any baring ( so about the pun) in this matter.
Surely a good saddle is a must?

danger mouse

Ive started wearing a pair of cheap shorts which have chamois lining under my decathlon padded shorts

I have two pairs of decathons, one £20 and one bib pair that cost £40

The 40 are so much better but the chamois really does help out a lot

Still get some chafing and soreness but do wonder about my riding position too

OP
OP
LegsRsore

LegsRsore

The sudocrem worked well and I'm feeling smooth again. My only pair of cycle shorts are in the wash so I went in my gym shorts tonight. No padding, no undies, just me and my shorts. Rather comfortable I must say. The saddle is actually very comfy now...... Oh I forgot to mention; I moved it forward so my bum is actually on the seat now. I guess this helped!

Much better.... :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Right, stay with me on this - hypothetically, let's say you enrolled in swimming lessons tomorrow - would you line up at the side of the pool with pants on under your speedos..?? You probably ought to, given that you would effectively be 'in public', n all...

Its being appropriately dressed, in the swimming baths or in the sea, wearing just your swimming trunks is being correctly dressed, out on the street without underwear is wrong, I suspect if I did it I would feel a bit sleazy

Octet

Veteran
Its being appropriately dressed, in the swimming baths or in the sea, wearing just your swimming trunks is being correctly dressed, out on the street without underwear is wrong, I suspect if I did it I would feel a bit sleazy

Once you are on your bike, and after a couple of trips you feel a lot more comfortable. You hardly notice that you are not wearing underwear, and providing you follow the ten feet rule (no further then ten feet away from your bicycle when wearing Lycra (optional)) then others won't really care what you are wearing.
It is like wearing any sporting clothes, you don't wear underwear with swimming trunks as they aren't supposed to be worn, you don't wear underwear with cycle shorts as they aren't supposed to be worn.

Top Bottom