What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Bad Lieutenant.
Nicholas Cage going a bit barking. Iguanas, crocodile cams and a breakdancing spirit of a bad guy. Plus drugs, and a multiple murder.
All packaged in a film that looks made to create sequels. Good acting. Oh and Eva Mendes.
Don't know what to think really: 6/10.
is that the remake of the Harvey Kietel movie?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sin City is books 1,3 & 4 of the series. The sequel is 2.

Ahh i see,that makes sense now.

AndyRM

XOXO
Tried and failed to watch Ted 2 last night.

Got about an hour in and still hadn't laughed so gave up, which is a bit odd as I usually find Seth MacFarlane's efforts very funny.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The Meg.

Fun romp with Jason Statham versus a big shark. Comes across as Jaws meets Jurassic Park.

However, being the pedantic old fart I am, I noted some plot holes....SPOILER ALERT:stop:

The temperature thermocline scene where they theorise that the shark escaped since they accidentally punctured a hole in it is pointless since the shark somehow got out 5 years earlier to attack the sub Statham & his crew were rescuing.

Why did they take the little girl on the shark hunt with them?. That's exposing her to un-necessary danger!.

'Black smoker' vents are seen at the base of the Marianas trench would not really be found there as it's a subduction zone where the oceanic tectonic plate is diving back down into the mantle. They are generally found in areas where the sea floor is spreading, opening up fissures. A hydrothermal vent is a fissure in a planet's surface from which geothermally heated water issues. Hydrothermal vents are commonly found near volcanically active places, areas where tectonic plates are moving apart at spreading centers,ocean basins, and hotspots.

I did note the two Star Trek references though:okay: (Gracie the humpback whale & the line about 'just like Bones').

gbb

Legendary Member
This morning, American Assassin.
No human being could take the punishment the good guys get and still function, so the usual cinematic tosh but the film was pacey, the acting was good with the usual revenge theme.
We enjoyed it for what it was.
Tonight, Calibre via Netflix.
Really grim. Common theme again, a mistake compounded with more mistakes through fear. A terrible price is paid.
Thoroughly enjoyed that one...but grim.

Drago

Legendary Member
Dante's Peak.

Wben will people learn that when a handsome stranger wanders into town and offers dire warning of floods/sharks/earthquakes/volcanoes they should listen and evacuate/close the beach/move people from under the dam. They should not ig ore them on the basis that its bad for business. This guarantees a grisly ending for many townsfolk and a grudging, very belated apology.

Very formulaic, with no real redeeming features. Nevertheless, I'm strangely fond of this flick for reasons that elude me.

6/10.

AndyRM

XOXO
Dante's Peak.

Wben will people learn that when a handsome stranger wanders into town and offers dire warning of floods/sharks/earthquakes/volcanoes they should listen and evacuate/close the beach/move people from under the dam. They should not ig ore them on the basis that its bad for business. This guarantees a grisly ending for many townsfolk and a grudging, very belated apology.

Very formulaic, with no real redeeming features. Nevertheless, I'm strangely fond of this flick for reasons that elude me.

6/10.

Gloriously terrible. So is Volcano. I could be misremembering, but I'm sure that in one of them a guy gets whacked in the face by a bright red painted "rock" which is supposed to be magma.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The Last Sharknado: It's About Time

I never stopped laughing

The plot ? What plot ? There was a plot?

It certainly WASN'T predictable, that's for sure

10/10 for utter purposeful crapness

The Meg.

Fun romp with Jason Statham versus a big shark. Comes across as Jaws meets Jurassic Park.

However, being the pedantic old fart I am, I noted some plot holes....SPOILER ALERT:stop:

The temperature thermocline scene where they theorise that the shark escaped since they accidentally punctured a hole in it is pointless since the shark somehow got out 5 years earlier to attack the sub Statham & his crew were rescuing.

Why did they take the little girl on the shark hunt with them?. That's exposing her to un-necessary danger!.

'Black smoker' vents are seen at the base of the Marianas trench would not really be found there as it's a subduction zone where the oceanic tectonic plate is diving back down into the mantle. They are generally found in areas where the sea floor is spreading, opening up fissures. A hydrothermal vent is a fissure in a planet's surface from which geothermally heated water issues. Hydrothermal vents are commonly found near volcanically active places, areas where tectonic plates are moving apart at spreading centers,ocean basins, and hotspots.

I did note the two Star Trek references though:okay: (Gracie the humpback whale & the line about 'just like Bones').

Can't wait to see this film now. I'm a geology geek too.
In fact I'm gonna stand up in the middle of the cinema and yell "But that's not a plate construction zone!! I want my money back!!" :okay:

Dante's Peak.

6/10.

The only redeeming feature is Linda Hamilton <sigh> :wub:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Can't wait to see this film now. I'm a geology geek too.
In fact I'm gonna stand up in the middle of the cinema and yell "But that's not a plate construction zone!! I want my money back!!" :okay:

I am a geologist by profession:laugh:. I think they stuck the black smokers in for artistic licence as obviously they needed something to heat up the water and create the (useless) thermocline.

Top Bottom