What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A Good Year.

A Rom com drama that's so treacly nice and goody goody that even Mrs D nearly puked, and she liked Mama Mia! Dreadful, awful, horrible film with nomredeeming features whatsoever...except that Russell Crowe's character drives a Smart Car, which means this film earns a 10.5/10.

keithmac

Guru
Watched Knight Rider 2000 last week, absolute classic!.

Watched Sully last night, very good film and even better being based on a true story.

District 9's on in 10 minutes, would be rude not to give it another watch..

stephec

Legendary Member
Gorky Park.

'Ah good,' thinks I after the first few minutes, 'at least it's not going to be American and British actors putting on silly Soviet accents.'

Then I'm greeted by Alexi Sayle and Michael Elphick, what a hoot.

All in it's not a bad film, 6/10.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just started watching the Zatoichi series of samurai films, the title character being a blind master swordsman living a more mundane life but being dragged back into violence and righting wrongs. Wow, they're good. Started with Zatoichi's Cane Sword, was enthralled: superb acting, prefectly paced (slow) build up of characters and motivation, interspesed with sudden violent sword fights. In this one a key element is the local blacksmith noticing that Zatoichi's sword having a hidden crack and being likely to break - leading up to the final shwodown with the baddie
And people say sequels are ropey - this is the 15th movie apparently !
Now started watching them from the first movie - all on youtube.

I had quite wrongly categorised Zatoichi as B-movie fare compared to (say) Kurosawa's masterpieces, but these really are quality movies, at least going by the 3 I've so far watched

Tin Pot

Guru
The Beyond, Netflix.

Good sci fi, story clearly outstrips the budget, but possibly the only recent cheap sci fi I’d recommend.

8/10

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
The Beyond, Netflix.

Good sci fi, story clearly outstrips the budget, but possibly the only recent cheap sci fi I’d recommend.

8/10
Watched it too.
I came away thinking the idea / storyline was quite different and good although it lacked much pace...almost an amble through the story as it was recounted by the players.

AndyRM

XOXO
American Assassin - 3/10

Predictable gung ho America f*ck yeah terrorist gubbins featuring some truly crap CGI but a good cast let down by a terrible script and totally implausible developments.

AndyRM

XOXO
#Horror - 4/10

Generic horror story of bratty kids left alone in a "haunted" house. The acting and dialogue is mostly dire, and the weird social media effects don't particularly reflect how it actually looks which is very jarring. That said, it's really well shot and Subkoff clearly has an eye for what works in a horror film.

Tin Pot

Guru
Watched it too.
I came away thinking the idea / storyline was quite different and good although it lacked much pace...almost an amble through the story as it was recounted by the players.

Agreed. Documentary style seems a bit overused these days too, but neverthelesss...

Top Bottom