What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rocky Balboa.

Seen it many times before, but still enjoying it every time I see it. A surprisingly powerful film, capitalising well on the character develooment from the previous 5 films. You really feel Rocky's pain, his motivation, his inner disquiet, his restlessness that is pushing him to seek ankther challenge.

Some very moving scenes with Rocky and Paulie as they reflect on getting old and the death of loved ones.

The fight scenes were typically well choreographed. The fight was filmed as a surprise for the crowd before a real boxing match was due to be fought, witb a real referee and real commentators, so the excitement and energy of the audience is very uplifting. Without being prompted the crowd are chanting "Rocky, Rocky..." and booing Mason Dixon, which brings such mention and energy to the scene.

A great film in many ways, and a return to the form of the original film and III. The momentum did carry on somewhat into Creed, but that never quite matched this one.

8.5/10.

PS, I'm looking forward to see Creed II next month. My namesake, Ivan Drago, is back...

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
10.5 Apocalypse

Call me by your name.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5726616/

My views are inline with those expressed by the lowest scoring posts, though not the homophobic ones.

Boring, way too long*, pretentious, the more I think about it the more bleeding awful it was.

* I swear it was an hour to an hour and half before they even got it together.

Not even the American Pie homage could save it.

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women.
There is some debate about whether this story is true, but it tells how a relationship developed between three people that would inspire the creation of Wonder Woman.
It is a beautiful film to behold, both in it's photography and in it's acting.
In the end how much is true will never be known as the three people involved are now gone, as is their remaining child who disclosed nothing while he lived.
8/10.

gbb

Legendary Member
Angry Birds.
I know it's a kids film but many kids films are great, good watching for adults too. But this wasn't. Crud. On the plus side, a 2 and 4 year old both enjoyed it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hell Drivers (1957) A team of tipper truck drivers throw the highway code out the window in order to maximise their wages. The driving scenes are really badly speeded up (a common 'effect' in this era) but it's a gripping film from start to finish... especially with its star studded cast: Stanley Baker, Sean Connery, Sid James, Gordon Jackson, David McCallum, Patrick McGoohan, William Hartnell and Alfie Bass. (6/10)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Seems to be the ultimate Marmite film judging by IMDb. A lot of 9 out of 10 and 10 out of 10 but also a good bunch of 1 out of 10s and people saying how much they hated it. It was all a bit vacuous and silly but I actually quite enjoyed it in its own silly way.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I didn't watch it last night but at the weekend.... "Flight of the Phoenix". I remember watching this as a kid and thinking it was great, and It's still a remarkably good film (I mean, c'mon Jimmy Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Ronald Fraser, Ernest Borgnine, Ian Bannen, Peter Finch, George Kennedy, Hardy Kruger -what's not to like?)

I will admit that perhaps sometimes some of the acting (thinking at the end and particularly George Kennedy's overwrought reaction to the razor blade suicide) might have precipitated a visit to the Hospital for Overacting (King Richard III ward mind you) but still, all in all a magnificent film.

Along similar lines, I recall the "Ice Cold In Alex" as being really good, but alas, not a copy to be found in the USA (where it's called "Desert Attack"). One day I'll have to get to that....

The Predator. The best way to watch this film is to just kick back and enjoy the ride and don’t take it too seriously. Critics have given it mixed reviews, personaly I thought it was ok but It’ll never be in the same league as the 1987 original. 6/10

Levo-Lon

Guru
The Predator. The best way to watch this film is to just kick back and enjoy the ride and don’t take it too seriously. Critics have given it mixed reviews, personaly I thought it was ok but It’ll never be in the same league as the 1987 original. 6/10

They seldom are.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Amour. Absolutely brilliant portrayal of what awaits us all - or at least many of us - approaching the end in the company of a life partner. Superb script, direction, pacing, everything, and some of the best acting I've ever seen. Almost unbearable in places. I dread to think what the American remake will be like (some coke-addled pretentious is bound to stumble across it eventually) - grotesquely mawkish, no doubt. But this is French, and its restraint is key to its success. If there was any justice in the world it would have taken the Oscars for film, direction, actor and actress. Dix out of dix from me - a first.

Bobario

Veteran
Along similar lines, I recall the "Ice Cold In Alex" as being really good, but alas, not a copy to be found in the USA (where it's called "Desert Attack"). One day I'll have to get to that....

Make sure you have a cold beer in the fridge ready for the closing scene.

Top Bottom