What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 2011.

Not having read the book, or seen the BBC series, I had nothing to compare it to so watched it for what it was.

To be honest I found it a bit dull, I still think the best films of this genre are The Ipcress File and The Spy Who Came in From The Cold.

5/10.
See "the deadly affair". A little dated now but more like the Ipcress file and TSWCIFTC . James Mason plays Smiley, but the name was changed due to contract reasons.

Last edited:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Deapool - not into superhero stuff. I thought this was brilliant, its up there with Kickass for my favourite superhero film (anti-superhero films I guess, Darkman is good too). 8.5/10

Ready Player One - Enjoyed this, visually stunning, lots of references to late 70's, early eighties gaming, 80's music, the use of Twisted Sister's cheesy We're Not Gonna Take It, was really well done. It helps that its from my era. Good film, with good underling messages 8/10.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Deadpool - not into superhero stuff. I thought this was brilliant, its up there with Kickass for my favourite superhero film (anti-superhero films I guess, Darkman is good too). 8.5/10

Ready Player One - Enjoyed this, visually stunning, lots of references to late 70's, early eighties gaming, 80's music, the use of Twisted Sister's cheesy We're Not Gonna Take It, was really well done. It helps that its from my era. Good film, with good underling messages 8/10.

Loved Kickass but wasn't really taken by Deadpool. Have you seen Super?
A big thumbs up for Ready Player One too :smile:

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
I have read nothing but bad things about it, which is a shame because Venom is a character with great potential.

My general rule is that if a film has poor marketing material then the film will be duff. So far this theory is 100% correct.

I'm not a fan of Marvel and superhero movies. The last one I liked (excluding The Incredibles or anything from Pixar) was Superman, and that's the one from 35+ years ago!

mustang1

Guru
Deapool - not into superhero stuff. I thought this was brilliant, its up there with Kickass for my favourite superhero film (anti-superhero films I guess, Darkman is good too). 8.5/10

Deadpool: I liked the first half but then it got nuts when that animated character started doing more stuff.
Ready Player One: I could have enjoyed this a lot more but I went to one of those cinemas where the seat keeps moving around so i got 2.5 hours of crap.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I watched Ready Player One on my 13 hour flight from Abu Dhabi to Melbourne, on my recent return from France. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, not just because it distracted me from the hell that is long-haul flights, but because it's a good film.

AndyRM

XOXO
In a similarly daft/violent vein, Zombieland is very, very good. So is Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

stephec

Legendary Member
The Order 2001.

Jean Claude Van Damme's archaeologist father goes mysteriously missing in Jerusalem after uncovering a religious sect intent on starting WW3.
Cue the usual Van Damme comedy fisticuffs as he attempts to thwart the baddies.

Even by his usual standards it's a bit poor, 4/10.

I've just switched off Miami Vice after an hour after getting bored of all the macho posturing.

I used to like the original series round about 1987, maybe the pretentiousness was bearable in an hour episode.

Drago

Legendary Member
Shot Caller.

Well to do family man gets 3 years in the chokey for death by DUI in America. He quickly twigs that he needs to toughen up and stand his ground in prison, or risk getting passed around as currency. He falls in with the Aryan Brotherhood, and quickly loses the plot and becomes a murderously nasty piece of work.

Not bad, but a bit overlong, too drawn out. Worth a watch though.

6/10.

Shot Caller.

Well to do family man gets 3 years in the chokey for death by DUI in America. He quickly twigs that he needs to toughen up and stand his ground in prison, or risk getting passed around as currency. He falls in with the Aryan Brotherhood, and quickly loses the plot and becomes a murderously nasty piece of work.

Not bad, but a bit overlong, too drawn out. Worth a watch though.

6/10.

Once in the group he can't leave on pain of threat to his family, so at first he toes the line, then realises the only way to eliminate the threat is to become the head of the group. Basically he has to write off his own life to ensure they will always be safe.

Agreed on the 6/10.

Also good to see there's a non-typecast life after Game of Thrones.

Drago

Legendary Member
World War Z.

Brad Pitt, a plot so thin you'd get your hand covered in poo if you tried to wipe your arriss with it, and a dreadful acting. Pitt can act well when it suits him, but he's clearly going though the motions for the pay cheque.

0/10 - 2 hours or your life and 5p of electricity you won t ever get back.

Top Bottom