What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Deadpool 2 - It's not as good as the first, to be expected. The first film is good the first half, then goes off, this is the other way round. Its not as good as the first though. The bit where he was growing his legs back and had baby legs, showing shirt c*ck, were hilarious, I don't know why, just cracked me up... 6.5/10

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Supertrain (1979)... the train in this TV pilot movie looks pretty cool...

4d8ab2190dd759181390f7680591f03e.jpg

...and that's pretty much the only good thing i can say about it. It's not quite in the so bad it's good camp, but it is in the so bad its worth showing to wannabe movie makers because everything about this film's screenplay is wrong. The plot just doesn't add up... ever! They obviously put a lot of effort into the model train though. Shame they didn't do the same with the miniature farms, trees and viaducts.

I'll give it five points for the train, but minus three for possibly the worst attempt at foreshortening I've ever seen. 2/10

Saw A Star is Born at the cinema today.

A bit of a chick flick but very enjoyable all the same.

I thought Bradley Cooper was excellent, Ga Ga was very good, Sam Elliot mumbled too much and there was a little too much filming in extreme close-up.

7/10

Profpointy

Legendary Member
first men: a dramatised telling of the first moon landings and Neil Armstrong’s part in it. I thought it excellent despite being worried after booking that it was the same leading actor and directed as the turgid la la land. no worries - the actors arguably wooden style suits his portrayal of Armstrong - an unflappable test pilot after all - and he doesn’t need to sing. The slightly disjointed style (not a criticising here) works well and filmically looks great. Maybe less of a “movie” than “The Right Stuff” but excellent in its own way.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I was quite happy with myself -I ended up buying Ice Cold in Alex from the UK (region 1 in the US, region 2 in the UK). But....

I managed to reburn the dvd without the region code, so I can watch it on my newer blu-ray/dvd player. Alas, it didn't play on my older dvd player but after a google (isn't the interwebs wonderful?) search, I managed to download ROM for the old player and update it to be be completely region free, so the original UK region 2 dvd I bought, I can now play. I will say I find the region stuff to be so annoying -I hope it goes away eventually.

Anyway, problem solved.

I didn't watch it last night but at the weekend.... "Flight of the Phoenix". I remember watching this as a kid and thinking it was great, and It's still a remarkably good film (I mean, c'mon Jimmy Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Ronald Fraser, Ernest Borgnine, Ian Bannen, Peter Finch, George Kennedy, Hardy Kruger -what's not to like?)

I will admit that perhaps sometimes some of the acting (thinking at the end and particularly George Kennedy's overwrought reaction to the razor blade suicide) might have precipitated a visit to the Hospital for Overacting (King Richard III ward mind you) but still, all in all a magnificent film.

Along similar lines, I recall the "Ice Cold In Alex" as being really good, but alas, not a copy to be found in the USA (where it's called "Desert Attack"). One day I'll have to get to that....

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Watched the end of Ice Cold in Alex yesterday, it was on Film4 or something. Brilliant film, One of my favourites.

*Bit of a spoiler* Pay attention to the beer at the end, the levels go up and down in the glasses like yoyos :smile:

Leaway2

Lycrist
Girl on the train. A complicated set of relationships, then someone is murdered. Good performance from Emily Blunt as a train commuter swigging neat vodka from her drinks bottle. Nice to hear her British accent rather than adopting a fake US version.
8/10.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Solo: Yet Another Star Wars Story... this pointless backstory seemed doomed from the very beginning. The actors chosen to play a young Han and Lando just didn't look right, and they still don't... but the movie itself wasn't at all bad. Where Rouge One felt like a wartime espionage movie, Solo is a wartime heist movie. It's not without its faults but far better than expected. Worth a watch if you're a big kid that still has some faith in the Star Wars franchise.

Drago

Legendary Member
Deepwater Horizon.

Mark Wahlberg proving yet again that he can't act his way out of a broom cupboard, and single handedly saves everyone while failing to out act the carboard box his fee was delivered in. The anti British sentiment is almost a tangible thing, the flames deliberately stoke by John Malkovich doing his best to generally behave like an evil megalomanic (which he does well) while every piece of clothing he wears displays a prominent BP logo (BP doubtless now meaning Beelzebub's Petroleum) . Curiously, the film fails to mention that by far the majority of BP shares are in American hands, and the dividends therefore get paid to more US shareholders than any other nationality, so the corners being cut were profiting the yankees most of all, and that no Americans had objected to the practices while the going was good and paying back the gravy. Oh no, it's only when it goes wrong that all this gets swept under the carpet and it becomes the personal fault of The Queen herself.

Utter tosh, acted out as utter tosh, selectively presented and spun into a piece of anti British hokum. Terence Stamp should go to America forthwith and seek out those responsible immediately, and do horrible things to them, and then we can make our own film and cheer as he wreaks bloody revenge.

0/10. It's 2 hours you'll never get back. You'll regret it for the rest of your life. Don't do it - I watch these things so you don't have to.

Drago

Legendary Member
Eye in the sky.

Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman, to whom I'm distantly related.

Billed as a tense drama about the inhumanity of military drone strikes. In reality it's a boring load of twaddle. Even Uncle Alan ripping the sheet out of spineless ministers couldn't raise the bar. We don't want wailing and gnashing of teeth at the inhumanity of war - we want explosions, severer limbs, terrorists being vapourised by unfeasibly large weapons. There is a good reason only 4 people went to see this at the cinema (and one of those was the pet dachshund, named Colin, of one of the 3 human viewers), and that's because it was crap.

2/10.

Top Bottom