What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Hatton Garden Job.

LOB. A lame attempt to make a modern take on the Guy Ritchie type gangster fils of the 90s. Identikit soundtrack, camera techniques, voiceovers. Cringeworthy.

3/10.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Finished off The Pacific mini series.I thought it very good after a slow start.

Very intense battle scenes. Even more so then Band Of Brothers.

And you get Leonard Rossiter, just like 2001!
Patrick McGee of "A Clockwork Orange" fame and a youngish Hardy Kruger. You should all give it a view, it'll keep you out of mischief for 3 hours.
Last night I watched "The Old Man and the Gun". Pretty gentle film for a story about a bank robber, never heard of Forrest Tucker (the criminal not the actor) and his story is fascinating.

Very intense battle scenes. Even more so then Band Of Brothers.
I seem to remember a Marine idly lobbing small stones into a skull filled by rain water. "The World at War", a poor history education and Hollywood films good and bad was my only view into the US most brutal experience of the last big war before watching "The Pacific".
Always sounds odd to say that you loved watching a work that has fairly unremitting grimness but I enjoyed it very much.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Netflix)

Watched for completeness' sake, this is an odd mixture of really quite good things (there's a shot with a flickering light in a metallic corridor that would grace a far, far, better film), set piece spectaculars and clangingly poor dialogue, with the barest ghost of a narrative holding the thing together. Not good.

Night Eats The World (Netflix)

Pretty good zombie apocalypse stuff. Essentially, a chap goes to a party in Paris, falls asleep, and finds that the world has ended. Trapped in the apartment building he had gone to, his powers of physical and mental survival are tested. A solidly good film.

Rings (Netflix)

Ring/Ring 2 sequel that adds unneeded backstory to the unneeded backstory that Ring 2 added. Do yourself a favour and watch the original - then spend the four hours you'll save by not watching the sequels on watching better films.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Netflix)

Watched for completeness' sake, this is an odd mixture of really quite good things (there's a shot with a flickering light in a metallic corridor that would grace a far, far, better film), set piece spectaculars and clangingly poor dialogue, with the barest ghost of a narrative holding the thing together. Not good.

Night Eats The World (Netflix)

Pretty good zombie apocalypse stuff. Essentially, a chap goes to a party in Paris, falls asleep, and finds that the world has ended. Trapped in the apartment building he had gone to, his powers of physical and mental survival are tested. A solidly good film.

Rings (Netflix)

Ring/Ring 2 sequel that adds unneeded backstory to the unneeded backstory that Ring 2 added. Do yourself a favour and watch the original - then spend the four hours you'll save by not watching the sequels on watching better films.
Ring 0 original well worth a look the end is the creepiest bit!

Hideo Nakata 2002 US version pretty good too.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Edge of tomorrow. Tom Cruise as a cowardly army Major(?) wait am minute, cowardly? Oh here we go, courage regained. Based on computer games where you get killed, stop and restart at the beginning. This made it rather tedious for me and I found myself losing attention.
Emily Blunt great as usual though :wub:.
Spoiler alert Cruise wins out in the end.
6/10

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Solo: A Star Wars Movie

Yet another disappointment from Disney.
It's not a terrible film, but it's not up to the required standard. In places it looked like a Youtube fan tribute film and it left me totally unmoved.
I can only assume that Woody Harrelson and Paul Bettany got the money that should have been spent on the script.
Not surprised that it flopped at the cinema.

Really boring film. Why can't they make them like the first two anymore?

I enjoyed Solo... its far better than the Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Where Rogue One felt like a wartime espionage movie, this felt like a wartime heist. In fact I enjoyed Solo more on my second viewing than i did the first. It's not great but it's a good addition to the franchise, which is better off in Disney's hands than it was in Lucas's in the 90s.

Es tut mir Leid, but normal service has resumed, for which my apologies.

Like most viewers on here, I imagine, I have often wondered what kind of film would me made from an Enid Blyton screenplay of a classroom's two minute silence in respect of those who died in the Hungarian uprising. Who indeed hasn't? Set in that bit of the German workers' paradise up near the Polish border, this film of Commie vindictive persecution of the innocent could have been deep and moving but it's an Islington-friendly retelling floundering in the shallow end of a bird bath.

View: https://youtu.be/9fWYUeMmDZA

1 / 10, and that's for the actor who plays Theo's father because he looks like my friend Winfried, who I told @CarlP makes the best goulash in the world. Fact, Carl.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Es tut mir Leid, but normal service has resumed, for which my apologies.

Like most viewers on here, I imagine, I have often wondered what kind of film would me made from an Enid Blyton screenplay of a classroom's two minute silence in respect of those who died in the Hungarian uprising. Who indeed hasn't? Set in that bit of the German workers' paradise up near the Polish border, this film of Commie vindictive persecution of the innocent could have been deep and moving but this Islington-friendly retelling is floundering in the shallow end of a bird bath.

View: https://youtu.be/9fWYUeMmDZA

1 / 10, and that's for the actor who plays Theo's father because he looks like my friend Winfried, who I told @CarlP makes the best goulash in the world. Fact, Carl.

Eh? What?

Top Bottom