What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Rambo - 7/10

One of the most violent films I've ever seen, particularly the last 10 minutes, which are just relentless. Pulls absolutely no punches, and is one of the few "modern" takes on an old franchise that truly works.

Lawless - 6/10

Being generous here because Nick Cave wrote it, but there's very little here to raise the bar beyond a generic cops and robbers tale, despite an excellent cast. It sort of feels like way too much has been invested in Tom Hardy's character, when really his is the least interesting of all the stories in the film.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Lawless - 6/10

Being generous here because Nick Cave wrote it, but there's very little here to raise the bar beyond a generic cops and robbers tale, despite an excellent cast. It sort of feels like way too much has been invested in Tom Hardy's character, when really his is the least interesting of all the stories in the film.

We have that on DVD, seen it, can't remember a single thing about it.

D

Deleted member 26715

Ideal Home

4/10 best that can be said was it passed a bit of time, very poor for Mr Coogan

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was skeptical but will certainly give it a go given your and other recommendations above.

The boys are and will llikely forever remain the greatest comedy double act of all time. As a child I enjoyed the films but thought them a bit obvious. As an adult the sheer craft and immaculate timing and joy makes me realise their timeless genius. Of course these days I'm already laughing at the gag I'm about to see !

A follow up to my own reply: the Stan and Ollie movie is an unalloyed joy ! Thanks to all those above who recommended it. Coogan is truly superb as Stan and if anything John c Reilly is even better as Ollie. Doesn't descend into mawkishness or sentimentality (too much) though I did shed a tear. The events are clearly misrepresented (their being portreayed as unknown has-beens initially then triumphing when I understand they were idolised as big stars from the off) for the sake of the real story of friendship and loyalty at the core of the film - this story the drama is true to.

It's the best film I've seen in a long time
Note, i am a fan of the boys, which doubtless helps

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Legends of the Fall
The Man Who Would Be King.

First "Legends of the Fall". I saw this (admittedly not last night but recently) for the first time since I'd seen it in the movie theatre. I seem to recall thinking it was a fairly good film.... Well, on second viewing, I could not disagree more! I was absolutely shocked at how bad it was -it just seemed to be a showcase of Brad Pitt looking hunky riding horses, extremely gratuitous north American Indian stereotypes and Anthony Hopkins really, really, badly portraying a stroke victim (I kept expecting an ambulance for the Hospital for Overacting, King Richard the III ward). And while I never noticed it before, there was an awful lot of back lit sun shots to give Brad an angel like aura. So much so, I caught myself snorting in disdain and laughing at how bad it was. 3/10. Was I on drugs in the early 1990's?

And now "The Man Who Would Be King". I remember watching this as a teenager and being enthralled and loving it, but alas like many films (see above), it just didn't seem as good on the second time viewing as a jaded middle aged man. For some reason, I seem to recall this being somewhat more substantial. Don't get me wrong, Michael Caine and Sean Connery shouldn't be overlooked -and it was well acted, and the story wasn't that bad -but.... it wasn't as good as I seem to have remembered it. However, still a solid 7.5/10.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Coco

IMG_20190203_130616199.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Lawless - 6/10

We saw this at the cinema, having being drawn in by an excellent trailer, and I'd have to agree with every word you've written.

Glass - 8/10

The final part of the The Eastrail 177 Trilogy following Unbreakable and Split. It helps if you've seen the other two films (but it's not essential) as it draws everything together with a clever series of twists that I won't reveal here.
Well worth a viewing.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Jason Bourne. .excellent

AndyRM

XOXO
Killer Joe - 8/10

Not for the faint of heart, this is an absolutely brutal tale of dysfunction, desperation and betrayal, wrapped up in a disarmingly witty script based on the play by Tracy Letts, who adapted it for the screen. All the characters are deeply flawed, but not without redeeming qualities making it easy to relate to the mad situation unravelling on screen.

McConaughey steals the show as the eponymous Joe, and looking back at his IMDB profile, this film seems to represent a turning point in his career from "pretty idiot" to "serious actor".

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Killer Joe - 8/10

Not for the faint of heart, this is an absolutely brutal tale of dysfunction, desperation and betrayal, wrapped up in a disarmingly witty script based on the play by Tracy Letts, who adapted it for the screen. All the characters are deeply flawed, but not without redeeming qualities making it easy to relate to the mad situation unravelling on screen.

McConaughey steals the show as the eponymous Joe, and looking back at his IMDB profile, this film seems to represent a turning point in his career from "pretty idiot" to "serious actor".

Not heard of this, I’ll check it out, directed by William Friedkin.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Glass - 8/10

The final part of the The Eastrail 177 Trilogy following Unbreakable and Split. It helps if you've seen the other two films (but it's not essential) as it draws everything together with a clever series of twists that I won't reveal here.
Well worth a viewing.

I knew they were doing a follow up to Unbreakable but had no idea it was out in 2016... and there's a third part too! Thanks... i'll have to catch up. I think Unbreakable is my favourite Shyayalan movie (many i feel are poor).

AndyRM

XOXO
Not heard of this, I’ll check it out, directed by William Friedkin.

It's a wild ride. I'd been warned about the final 10 minutes, but still wasn't quite prepared. Without spoiling anything, it's an incredible example of how something innocent and mundane can be made absolutely repulsive.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
X-men, The Last Stand

I'm not a big Marvel comics fan, although I have watched many of the films and did read the comics when I was (much) younger.

Mrs Cisamcgu and I watched the first two X-men films in the last few months, and we liked them enough to bother to watch this one. Well, we shouldn't have - dreadful story, plot holes the size of Wales, characters appearing and disappearing for no reason, little sense of wonder or excitement and a "surprise" ending that was just plain stupid. - A waste of 2 hours - 1.5/10 (and only because some of the explosions were good)

Top Bottom