What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Battle Of The Bulge.

A bit sheet really, but I'm a fan of the late, great Robert Shaw so had to watch it. On the plus side it was made at a time when one could still lay hands on real Panzer and Tiger tanks, so it does benefit from having no CGI.

Aside from that poor sub plots, caricatures rather than characters, and some wooden acting from support cast members make this an also-ran in an era that produced some mighty examples of the genre.

5/10. Don't sit up late especially to watch, but it's not a total waste of an afternoon if there's nothing else on.

I was pretty dismissive of Ken Loach's last film, but he's back on top form. All the usual ingredients, shouty northerners, angry men, strong women in a soulless dysfunctional society. Ken's loaded both barrels, pointed them at your forehead and is not about to take prisoners. It would be no exaggeration to say that some of the people in the Kino had to cry.

View: https://youtu.be/ysjwg-MnZao

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The Battle Of The Bulge.

A bit sheet really, but I'm a fan of the late, great Robert Shaw so had to watch it. On the plus side it was made at a time when one could still lay hands on real Panzer and Tiger tanks, so it does benefit from having no CGI.

Aside from that poor sub plots, caricatures rather than characters, and some wooden acting from support cast members make this an also-ran in an era that produced some mighty examples of the genre.

5/10. Don't sit up late especially to watch, but it's not a total waste of an afternoon if there's nothing else on.

I was a bit disappointed with that. They weren't bloody Tiger tanks. They weren't even Panzer IVs. Did they think we would not be able to recognise a Tiger when we saw one? Even the American tanks weren't right.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I saw The Little Hours which was a nunsploitation film. It was based on a story from the Decameron, whigh just goes to demonstrate how old this genre is, about 500 years older than the Western by my reckoning.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was a bit disappointed with that. They weren't bloody Tiger tanks. They weren't even Panzer IVs. Did they think we would not be able to recognise a Tiger when we saw one? Even the American tanks weren't right.
I read somewhere the Sherman's were later models borrowed from some army or other (Greece?) that was still using them.

Drago

Legendary Member
Independence Day.

On the one hand its sycophantic flag waving as the brave colonials heroically fight the invading alien hordes.

On the other I quite like nukes and love Jeff Goldblum. Even the dreadful "Engish" accents of the RAF airmen isn't enough to stop this yarn from earning a solid...

7/10.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Le Man '66 - a rollicking good tale about how plucky little Ford saw off the mighty Ferrari in the world's best known 24-hour race. It rattles along at a good pace and the two and a half hours (three hours with ads and trailers) goes by in a flash. 8/10.

However, a seat at the Odeon Luxe now costs £14.50 and despite the huge screen and power reclining leather seats, that's nearly three times the cost of a ticket elsewhere so I doubt I'll be going there again.

Drago

Legendary Member
Le Man '66 - a rollicking good tale about how plucky little Ford saw off the mighty Ferrari in the world's best known 24-hour race. It rattles along at a good pace and the two and a half hours (three hours with ads and trailers) goes by in a flash. 8/10.

However, a seat at the Odeon Luxe now costs £14.50 and despite the huge screen and power reclining leather seats, that's nearly three times the cost of a ticket elsewhere so I doubt I'll be going there again.
Itll be on Sky before the new year.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I, Daniel Blake - 9/10. Excellent film depicting the disgusting state of the benefits system for poorer people under this horrible Tory government, how people with learning difficulties etc, are just ignored. The reality of food banks. Nothing made easy with the systems in-place, I've been on jobseekers briefly, and totally get this film. The system is dire, to put it mildly.

Just a really well made, touching British film. Nice that films like this are made.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Mule.

Starring and directed by Clint Eastwood. An elderly man in his late 80's is very down on his financial luck and takes a job as a courier delivering drugs from state to state for the cartel. Being elderly, driving at the speed limit, he is above suspicion. At first things go well and the drug gang take to him as a kind of father figure, but things start to go very wrong when the DEA get a sniff and a new man moves in at the top of the cartel.

Great premise, interesting plot, Clint doing a class job as a grumpy old man in over his neck. Well worth some Guinness and Doritos.

8/10.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I watch very few films as I tend to get bored after half an hour but one film I have seen a few times and still enjoy watching is " Where eagles dare" with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood among others. It is a long film but entertaining.

stephec

Legendary Member
I watch very few films as I tend to get bored after half an hour but one film I have seen a few times and still enjoy watching is " Where eagles dare" with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood among others. It is a long film but entertaining.
It's in my top ten.

Top Bottom