What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
The Edge of Tomorrow - Live, Die, Repeat.

Dreadful, utterly dreadful. Acting universally awful. Support characters especially so, but Cruise himself was clearly only there to pay to have his kitchen decorated.

An interesting plot out line, but not only dull but by necessity repetivivivive.

2/10. Be prepared to feel sleepy or suicidal within an hour of this yawn fest starting.
It was awful, but I kind of liked it.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Bridge At Remagen.

A brilliant performance from Robert Vaughan (excepting his german accent, but who does a decent foreign accent any way?) who plays the intelligent but world weary Wermacht Major tasked with ever so delicately defying Hitler's orders.

Based on a true story, the tale powers along as well as any of the genre, but its Vaughan's sensitive performance that steals the show.

7/10. Not the best war film of the era, but still very decent, with a strong performance by the leading actors. Well worth the time, beer, and Dorito's.

Drago

Legendary Member
Shooter.

On the one hand it's the sort of manly testosterone infused yarn I love - recon marine scout sniper is famed for attempting to kill the vide president and goes on a violent rampage, first to prove his innocence and then to exact his revenge. Fantastic!

On the other, it's got indifferent acting, aside from Michael Pena who I rate as a versatile actor of surprising quality, and surprisingly dire weapons drills for a film of that sort. And the bit where Mark Wahlberg shoots at the helicopter with the Barrett 99 .50 is a joke - at that range itll knock the tracks off tanks, and would have blown the rotors off a mere helo. Disappointing.

Still and all, I quite like it despite these shortcomings. I'm just a sucker for the predictable violence of films where bad dudes upset special forces/elite operators, who then set put to exact bloody revenge. Boo yah!

6/10

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Hunter Killer. How this film ever got made I’ll never know but the fact that it did is extraordinary. The special effects are rather good looking, with a good cast of actors, a bloody awful cliche ridden script.

The Hunt for Red October it ain’t.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The Edge of Tomorrow - Live, Die, Repeat.

Dreadful, utterly dreadful. Acting universally awful. Support characters especially so, but Cruise himself was clearly only there to pay to have his kitchen decorated.

An interesting plot out line, but not only dull but by necessity repetivivivive.

2/10. Be prepared to feel sleepy or suicidal within an hour of this yawn fest starting.
It's another Tom Cruise action hero sci-fi movie, a bit like Oblivion. I find them both stangely enjoyable hokum.

Le Man '66 - a rollicking good tale about how plucky little Ford saw off the mighty Ferrari in the world's best known 24-hour race. It rattles along at a good pace and the two and a half hours (three hours with ads and trailers) goes by in a flash. 8/10.

However, a seat at the Odeon Luxe now costs £14.50 and despite the huge screen and power reclining leather seats, that's nearly three times the cost of a ticket elsewhere so I doubt I'll be going there again.
Saw it in the afternoon.
A really good film with a good story.
It was good to see the correct historic cars being used .
I'll buy the cd when it comes out so that I can watch it again .
9/10

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Primal with Nicholas Cage - blimey he's let himself go. It was watchable. Game hunter transporting animals on a ship, feds transporting a criminal, criminal gets out and releases lots of wild animals.

stephec

Legendary Member
The Losers, I can't see Idris Elba looking back on this with any great pride.

A CIA special ops team are betrayed by their controller and presumed dead, but here's the amazing twist, they're still alive and out for revenge.

Leave your brain at the door and you should be ok, I only wish the opening credits contained the sentence, 'based on a DC comics,' rather than the closing ones, would've saved me the suffering.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Departed.

Gangsters. Violence. Swearing. Scorcese. Cast of thousands.

Great Performance from Alec Baldwin who hams it up splendidly for his larger than life character, but DiCaprio, Damon, Nicholson, Sheen Sr and even Wahlberg really crank out some juicy performances. And what a twist at the end!

Not for people who eat tofu or think The holocaust should not be taught in schools for fear of upsetting people.

8.5/10.

Top Bottom