What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The Naked Gun.

Anything to do with police squad creases me up. I once cited him to the chief inspector as the copper I most admire, that's how much I love Frank Drebin.

10/10. If you like deadpan gags and clever slapstick then you'll love this. If you don't then you're simply wrong.

Somebody once said of this, don't worry if any of the gags fall flat, there'll be two or three better ones in a minute. Another review talked about the 3rd in the series saying the first two were comedy masterpieces but this third outing is merely very very funny.

Brilliant films

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Is there a better musical, musically speaking?

Bugsy Mallone, Oklahoma, Breaking Glass ...

Levo-Lon

Guru
Half way through The Irishman, it's 3 1/2 hrs
Its a bit odd seeing ancient actors being cast as young men and calling someone obviously in their early 60's a kid, if you can get past that its still not great.

Pacino does his usual shouty stuff but he cant do it anymore
Pesci.. Looks like he's nearly a 100
De niro is ok but he's lost that edge.

5/10 and that's only because i love the old films that made them what they are.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Naked Gun.

Anything to do with police squad creases me up. I once cited him to the chief inspector as the copper I most admire, that's how much I love Frank Drebin.

10/10. If you like deadpan gags and clever slapstick then you'll love this. If you don't then you're simply wrong.
Two words: Nice beaver.

Adam4868

Guru
Its a bit odd seeing ancient actors being cast as young men and calling someone obviously in their early 60's a kid, if you can get past that its still not great.

Pacino does his usual shouty stuff but he cant do it anymore
Pesci.. Looks like he's nearly a 100
De niro is ok but he's lost that edge.

I watched the whole film last night ! What did I think....it was ok.id probally say 7 half out of ten.There were bits I liked and obviously the cast.Was it a lot different to Goodfellas ? I quite liked the way the put the text over characters of how they died ! Worth watching though.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well can't say I watched it as I turned if off yawning too much after an hour... but "The Irishman". Maybe I'm just not into mob movies, but to me it was a snorefest. After an hour, I just couldn't see it getting better and turned it off. I will say Joe Pesci was fantastic in it I thought, just the story was... well... boring. Not a common occurrence for me to stop part way through but I saw I had another 2 1/2 hours to go and lost the will to view.

Adam4868

Guru
Well can't say I watched it as I turned if off yawning too much after an hour... but "The Irishman". Maybe I'm just not into mob movies, but to me it was a snorefest. After an hour, I just couldn't see it getting better and turned it off. I will say Joe Pesci was fantastic in it I thought, just the story was... well... boring. Not a common occurrence for me to stop part way through but I saw I had another 2 1/2 hours to go and lost the will to view.
I found some alcohol helped.

D

Deleted member 26715

I watched the whole film last night ! What did I think....it was ok.id probally say 7 half out of ten.There were bits I liked and obviously the cast.Was it a lot different to Goodfellas ? I quite liked the way the put the text over characters of how they died ! Worth watching though.
Just finished in 2 sittings, what a shame it could have been a good movie, but why did they try to play themselves from 40 years ago, would have been much better if they had used younger actors to play the young scenes, but then only De Niro would have got a part. 7/10 with lost potential to be 9/10

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"Knives out" a superb Agatha Christie style country house murder mystery. Great cast, witty script, brilliant storytelling and fine craftsmanship in this near perfect piece of pure entertainment. It's a comedy but played straight if that makes sense

Great fun 9/10 highly recommended

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just finished in 2 sittings, what a shame it could have been a good movie, but why did they try to play themselves from 40 years ago, would have been much better if they had used younger actors to play the young scenes, but then only De Niro would have got a part. 7/10 with lost potential to be 9/10

That was my thought too.
It just doesn't work calling a 60 yr old a good kid

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't particularly search out funny films, it's not my thing and yet once In a while..
In the last couple days..
Ted 2. Hilarious, had me guffawing, particularly at the fight scene in the superheroes convention...marvelous.
And then with our 5 yo grandson...spongebob squarepants, sponge out of water. Marvelous again, just so many funny little bits that only adults will get, like the battle scene where a character is looking over the trench parapet....absent mindly scratching his backside. I think I laughed more than the grandson did.

gbb

Legendary Member
Part way through '6 Underground'..visitors arrived, watching suspended till tomorrow.
Marvelous, I always enjoy Ryan Reynolds.
Spoof / black comedy of a ghost team taking out the worlds worst characters, something often governents wont do to protect vested interests, extraordinarily highly charged beginning with a typical destructive car chase scene, fast paced comical at times, some smut, plenty o great one liners.. excellent stuff.

Top Bottom