What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
The 12th Man.

A Norwegian WWII film based on the true story of an agent sent back home who is the only survivor of the mission, it follows his concealment by ordinary folk who help him escape to Sweden, top notch.

8/10.

AndyRM

XOXO
Breakfast on Pluto - 8/10

I somehow missed this at the cinema, which is weird because I love Neil Jordan and I'd crawl through broken glass to get a look at Cillian Murphy's cheekbones. Funny, tragic, challenging and beautifully filmed with an excellent soundtrack, what's not to like?

Apparently it's a bit less provocative than the book it's based on, which I haven't read yet but is next on my ever growing list.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The Great Wall - colourful epic with Matt Damon, Jing Tian :wub:, Pedro Pascal and, for some unknown reason, Willem Dafoe. The dialog was excruciating, the special effects dreadful, the acting wooden and the plot so full of holes you could drive a Dongfeng through it ... but, I loved every minute of the brilliant mess

this from imdb : "The dialogue is as if it may have been written in Chinese, gone through a google translation into, say Finnish, and then another google translation into English. There is a nameless order (who all have names) and are colour-coded in order of their expertise (blue is for bunjee jumping!). "

1/10 not recommended unless you like that sort of thing :laugh:

Last edited:
The American. Euro-thriller with George Clooney as private sector assassin in hiding doing one last job as gunsmith to a mysterious hot chick assassin. Very quiet, cool, stylish movie. Ends badly for George.

I saw The Little Hours which was a nunsploitation film. It was based on a story from the Decameron, whigh just goes to demonstrate how old this genre is, about 500 years older than the Western by my reckoning.
My fav nunspoitation movie is Black Narcissus. Nuns go crazy for local hunky civil servant colonial government agent in high altitude India.

Directors: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
Cinematography: Jack Cardiff
Story by: Rumer Godden
Awards: Academy Award for Best Cinematography

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The Great Wall - colourful epic with Matt Damon, Jing Tian :wub:, Pedro Pascal and, for some unknown reason, Willem Dafoe. The dialog was excruciating, the special effects dreadful, the acting wooden and the plot so full of holes you could drive a Dongfeng through it ... but, I loved every minute of the brilliant mess

this from imdb : "The dialogue is as if it may have been written in Chinese, gone through a google translation into, say Finnish, and then another google translation into English. There is a nameless order (who all have names) and are colour-coded in order of their expertise (blue is for bunjee jumping!). "

1/10 not recommended unless you like that sort of thing :laugh:
Saw the trailer for that on Film4 the other day and thought it looked like a bloody good movie to watch with a few drinks and brain disengaged - thanks for the confirmation. Somehow I forgot to set my system up to record that last night, but Monday night's showing is now programmed in.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Silence. Martin Scorsese-made 'epic' about Jesuit priests suffering in Japan. And suffering. And suffering. Might have been grim if it wasn't so irredeemably dull. Quite possibly the most boring film I've ever seen. Two and a half hours. Felt more like a week and a half. Gets an inexplicable 7.1 on IMDB, but for me a definite 1/10, and only because I'm feeling generous.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I can never decide on my favourite Hitchcock film.
My top 4 are:

Vertigo
North by North West
The 39 Steps
Rear Window

But don't ask me to put them in order!

Saboteur is well worth a watch too, and Touch of Evil has some wonderful shots.
I watched Frenzy for the first time very recently... I'd never heard of it so figured it might be one of Hitchcock's clangers, but it was excellent... shame it seldom gets a mention.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"The Irishman" - the latest Scorcese film, and as you might expect in the gangster genre. It is a good film no doubt, but maybe over-praised a little. Cast includes De Niro as the title character, Pacino as Jimmy Hoffa, and an outstandingly good Pesci as another lead role. Could do with cutting the last 15 minutes of slightly mawkishness. I think Goodfellas is Scorcese's masterpiece of the genre, but this one is also a quality film

8/10

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Miss Sloan - twisty turny thriller sort of thing set in the shiny but sleazy world of US politics/lobbying. You've seen the kind of thing before, but there's no denying Hollywood does it well. Wouldn't write home about it, but I'd give it a solid 7/10.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Payback, a revenge/gangster flick starring Mel Gibson. Somehow this 20yr old film had passed me by, but i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Good film that.
This week we went to see The Good Liar which was fabulous and Joker which was a horrible film with Wacky Phoenix going full Method.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Edge of Tomorrow - Live, Die, Repeat.

Dreadful, utterly dreadful. Acting universally awful. Support characters especially so, but Cruise himself was clearly only there to pay to have his kitchen decorated.

An interesting plot out line, but not only dull but by necessity repetivivivive.

2/10. Be prepared to feel sleepy or suicidal within an hour of this yawn fest starting.

Top Bottom