What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
The Suicide Squad

What a load of crap. The first one was much better. Margot Robbie still does a good Harley Quinn though.

Really??!! I thought the first one was a dog's dinner of a film, and I've seen it at least twice, and thought the second one was much better. It's a bit odd in that it's gory for a 15 cert, but the monster is cartoony. Entertaining though.

Of the films I've seen recently, I thought Black Widow was the best. More a Bond or Bourne type thriller than a Marvel film. I'm disappointed Green Knight isn't getting a cinema release.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
He'd have fannied about with all sorts of stupid flashbacks and cutaways, ruining the pace the film. See also From Dusk till Dawn.

Don't get me wrong, I like (most) Tarantino, but some of his quirks irritate the life out of me.
He is a man in desperate need of an editor who will stand up to him, and someone to tell him that constantly homaging other films just reminds the viewer that they could be watching *those films* /rants for three pages

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Anyway, I watched Possessor (Blu Ray)

Squelchy, bloody horror from Brandon Cronenberg. The violence is earned, but is, at times, staggeringly unpleasant, and it's difficult not to leave the film on a first watch with that foremost, other than anything it's trying to say. Definitely some interesting themes being explored, and worth a rewatch I think.

Aftermath (Netflix)

Who thought that buying a murder house would be a bad idea? By the numbers spooky house stuff, let down somewhat by the ending (although it might play better to someone with different tastes in their horror). Not dreadful, not amazing either.

AndyRM

XOXO
He is a man in desperate need of an editor who will stand up to him, and someone to tell him that constantly homaging other films just reminds the viewer that they could be watching *those films* /rants for three pages

This. There's a video, which I can't seem to track down, called "We know what you're up to Tarantino" which basically puts clips of his films next to the ones that at times he's blatantly ripped off.

Adam4868

Guru
Gonna have to disagree on Tarantino hate fest 😁
He's done some great films...Pulp Fiction has to be in my top 10 !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Watched Bronson again last night. Tom Hardy is such a great actor.
The movie is quite amateurish and clearly cheaply made but very brutal and very watchable.

Adam4868

Guru
Reservoir Dogs is my favourite. Don't think I'll ever get tired of watching it.
Love it too,great soundtracks to his films aswell.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I just find Tarantino tries too hard. He's made some good films but every film is a nod to some other film rather than finding his own unique voice. I did like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood; more for the performances than the direction.

One of my general rules about films is to beware of films that have the same writer and director. It's not always true, but too often the director won't cut his/her own script and is too self-indulgent, ending up with an inferior result.

Top Bottom