What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
The Skin I'm In - 9/10

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this (though I love Almodovar) and boy was I not disappointed. Themes of betrayal, revenge, control and gender-bending all wrapped up in a creepy dread building horror/science-fiction package which, while not quite keeping me guessing was totally engrossing.

Beautifully shot and with a really elegant score.

I did have a couple of "Eh?" moments, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyable and highly recommended.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Gonna have to disagree on Tarantino hate fest 😁
He's done some great films...Pulp Fiction has to be in my top 10 !
Which is fine - it's a dull world when everyone likes the same things. I find it frustrating because I can almost see what other people are seeing in his films, but can't get past him showing off his record collection, the incoherence of the plotting at times, and the nagging feeling that I'd sooner watch one of the films being homaged. And by god his films are long. I liked Jackie Brown, and still think it's the best thing he's done (I'd argue that Dogs and Pulp Fiction have aged badly).

Adam4868

Guru
Which is fine - it's a dull world when everyone likes the same things. I find it frustrating because I can almost see what other people are seeing in his films, but can't get past him showing off his record collection, the incoherence of the plotting at times, and the nagging feeling that I'd sooner watch one of the films being homaged. And by god his films are long. I liked Jackie Brown, and still think it's the best thing he's done (I'd argue that Dogs and Pulp Fiction have aged badly).
Take your point John but Pulp Fiction aged badly....nah ! It's a classic,the actors were class but the dialogues made it such a cult film.Everyone remembers the five dollar milkshake and as much as your tempted you don't give Mia Wallace a foot massage!
Well agree to disagree ^_^

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Old - great what I call popcorn and coke movie, much better in cinema. Shyamalan can turn the suspense up to 11 and despite too neat ending I had much fun. 4/5
Blood diamonds - Leo does not a very convincing accent, in a standard big issue Hollywood action, which works because of him and other leads 4/5

stephec

Legendary Member
The Man With the X-ray Eyes.

A doctor invents some eye drops that allow you to have x-ray vision, but unfortunately things don't go according to plan (what a surprise).

After experimenting on himself events spiral out of control, it's proper 1960s B movie territory.

5/10, I'll not be watching it again.

I started watching 'The Green Book', when I'd got sorted out, after getting home from work
I've recorded it, it seems very intriguing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Book_(film)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZxoko_HC0

AndyRM

XOXO
The Suicide Squad - 7/10

I didn't see Suicide Squad, but by all accounts this is a lot better. It's fun, over the top, impressively violent and despite being CGI heavy that didn't annoy me as it was so entertaining.

Not one for the kids by any means, but it's quality brain popcorn. Sylvester Stallone voicing a humanoid shark creature made me giggle.

There's a political sub-plot to it, which doesn't get in the way, but by the end I was left thinking "Yeah, you guys have won, but good luck rebuilding all that."

The Suicide Squad - 7/10

I didn't see Suicide Squad, but by all accounts this is a lot better. It's fun, over the top, impressively violent and despite being CGI heavy that didn't annoy me as it was so entertaining.

Not one for the kids by any means, but it's quality brain popcorn. Sylvester Stallone voicing a humanoid shark creature made me giggle.

There's a political sub-plot to it, which doesn't get in the way, but by the end I was left thinking "Yeah, you guys have won, but good luck rebuilding all that."
King Shark is also in the Harley Quinn animation that's presently being shown on channel 5
That's definitely not for kids either!!

Rather amusingly, Kaley Cuoco, Penny, in The Big Bang Theory, voices HQ
(coincidentally Melissa Rauch; Bernadette in T B B T, also voices HQ, in the Batman & Harley Quinn feature length animation)

HQ's done surprisingly well, for what was intended to be a very minor 'disposable' charactor, created for the (wonderful) 1990s Warner Brothers animated Batman
Which also featured the best interpretations of Batman & The Joker
(Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamill, respectively)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nss0ghyCrm0

AndyRM

XOXO
King Shark is also in the Harley Quinn animation that's presently being shown on channel 5
That's definitely not for kids either!!

Rather amusingly, Kaley Cuoco, Penny, in The Big Bang Theory, voices HQ
(coincidentally Melissa Rauch; Bernadette in T B B T, also voices HQ, in the Batman & Harley Quinn feature length animation)

HQ's done surprisingly well, for what was intended to be a very minor 'disposable' charactor, created for the (wonderful) 1990s Warner Brothers animated Batman
Which also featured the best interpretations of Batman & The Joker
(Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamill, respectively)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nss0ghyCrm0

I like the Harley Quinn character, but I always feel she's basically Tank Girl, who I think is cooler.

Top Bottom