What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
V for Vendetta

I did something that I never thought I'd do last night, watched a Danny Dyer film.

A special forces guy comes home from Afghanistan when his parents are executed by local gangsters after his dad foils a robbery, you can probably guess the rest.

Bent coppers, white Londoners speaking with yardie accents, men from the ministry overruling police commissioners, its got the lot.

And just in case you're worried that there's not enough macho posturing going on, Nick Nevens has a small part as an ex colleague. 😅

DRM

Guru
On Netflix, Danger Close, about the battle of Long Tan, in Vietnam, however it made a change to it not being a gung-ho American film, it’s about the 1st Australian Task Force

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The one based on the Hugo Weaving story. Don't remember Danny Dyer in it? He's the t*at who seems to only play the Cockney geezer isn't he?

Yup.

V for Vendetta

I did something that I never thought I'd do last night, watched a Danny Dyer film.

A special forces guy comes home from Afghanistan when his parents are executed by local gangsters after his dad foils a robbery, you can probably guess the rest.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A Shot in The Dark. Again. The opening dialogue is still one of the best intros to a movie I've ever enjoyed...

Dreyfus: [answers phone] Commissioner Dreyfus... Ah, yes, my darling... I was just about to call you. I'm on my way. I've got the cheese and the beaujolais... What?

[laughs]

Dreyfus: ... My love. Kiss the children for me, hmm?

[intercom buzzes]

Dreyfus: Hold on.

[covers phone mouthpiece; answers intercom]

Dreyfus: Yes?

intercom: Your wife is on the other line.

Dreyfus: Tell her I'm out of town.

I think that's the funniest of the series. The scene where he crashes into the room, out the window, and into the fountain had be barely able to breath for laughing, and there are plenty more gags. Can't remember if that's the one he keeps on driving into the swimming pool

Pink Panther is OK, but was intended as a vehicle for David Niven although Sellers' Clouseau steals the show of course. And later ones are a bit too silly even for me, though still enjoyable

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Guardians, French, set during the first world war among women working the land while their men are away fighting. It brought to mind a bit I've always remembered from the end of the film of Laurie Lee's Cider with Rosie where he describes growing up in what he later came to realise was actually the final days of a way of life that hadn't really changed in a thousand years...."a world of silence; a world of hard work and necessary patience, of backs bent to the ground, hands massaging the crops, of waiting on weather and growth; of villages like ships in the empty landscapes and the long walking distances between them; of white narrow roads, rutted by hooves and cartwheels, innocent of oil or petrol, down which people passed rarely, and almost never for pleasure, and the horse was the fastest thing moving."

The Guardians brings that world to life, in slow, agricultural rhythms and muted colours, with long panoramic shots that simply record faces, twenty or thirty of them, and long, lingering scenes from pre-industrial life on the land: the toil, the toil, the toil. Staggering after the plough, flailing and binding and sifting and hauling, and bent double with a sickle alongside 30 others to harvest an ocean of wheat handful by scratchy handful. There is a story, and a genuinely moving one at that. But really it's all about a feel, a mood, and a way of life that lived a millenium and then, all of a sudden, was gone. Just wonderful.

On iPlayer at the moment, if it sounds like your sort of thing.

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
In_Fabric_poster.jpg

In Fabric (2018)

Peter Strickland's giallo inspired British horror. Brilliantly dark, weird and funny. A sort of mind bending "Are You Being Served" on industrial strength ketamine.

Top Bottom