What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)
Never read the book, never saw the BBC drama.
It was interesting if ultimately disappointing. There was no way that you could really work out what was happening, and even once it had finished and I read plot synopsis from other people there were still many bits I didn't understand. However, in saying that, it was a stunningly well realised vision of the 60s, the acting was, for the most part, superb, and it made Mrs C and myself discuss it long after the credits had rolled. 7.5/10

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)
Never read the book, never saw the BBC drama.
It was interesting if ultimately disappointing. There was no way that you could really work out what was happening, and even once it had finished and I read plot synopsis from other people there were still many bits I didn't understand. However, in saying that, it was a stunningly well realised vision of the 60s, the acting was, for the most part, superb, and it made Mrs C and myself discuss it long after the credits had rolled. 7.5/10
TTSS was set in 1973, so plentry of late 1960s vintage stuff still around with s smattering of 1970s models. I dont think the modern Habitat style made much of an impresstion on the establishment types in espionage.

Drago

Legendary Member
From Russia With Love.

Arguably the best of the Connery Bonds. Very good plot, with Spectre stirring the pot between different intelligence agencies and hoping to be able to picl off Bond in the confusion.

Topped off with a very brutal, even by todays standards, fight scene on the train between Connery and the late, great, Robert Shaw.

Still a good watch almost 60 years on.

7/10.

stephec

Legendary Member
From Russia With Love.

Arguably the best of the Connery Bonds. Very good plot, with Spectre stirring the pot between different intelligence agencies and hoping to be able to picl off Bond in the confusion.

Topped off with a very brutal, even by todays standards, fight scene on the train between Connery and the late, great, Robert Shaw.

7/10.
My favourite one of his as well.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Smoked weed, rescued teenage girls, and ate breakfast together - true romance

Just realized Die Hard is set in LA:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Tenet.

Bloody heck what the hell was that film about. Anyway, I bailed half way through.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Tea with Mussolini (iplayer). Excellent.

Based on Franco Zeffirelli's childhood experiences with the Scorpioni - the group of exbat widow art lovers in Florence.

Drago

Legendary Member
Goldfinger.

IMHO not as good as From Russia With Love. However, in many ways its more iconic. That fantastic Shirley Bassey theme song, the DB5, the first super-henchman in Odd Job, implausible gadgets starting to creep in, and Gert Frobe as the delicuously deranged and casually murderous Auric Goldfinger.

In terms of the plot, action and depiction of fisticuffs its not as good as that which went before, but somehow everything else elevates it a bit, and despite not being quite as good it has become the one for which Connery is most fondly remembered.

6.5/10.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Goldfinger.

IMHO not as good as From Russia With Love. However, in many ways its more iconic. That fantastic Shirley Bassey theme song, the DB5, the first super-henchman in Odd Job, implausible gadgets starting to creep in, and Gert Frobe as the delicuously deranged and casually murderous Auric Goldfinger.

In terms of the plot, action and depiction of fisticuffs its not as good as that which went before, but somehow everything else elevates it a bit, and despite not being quite as good it has become the one for which Connery is most fondly remembered.

6.5/10.
“Do you expect me to talk?”
”No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!”

A classic! :hyper:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
“Do you expect me to talk?”
”No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!”

A classic! :hyper:

Supposedly there was a bloke under the steel table with a cutting torch so the sparks and molten steel are real, thought the laser beam was obviously painted in afterwards. The thing is, the cutting torch guy underneath can't see what's happening, so he's keeping going until the director says "cut", so the fear on Connery's face ain't acting as the quit real flames really are getting closer and closer to Connery's bollocks.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
From Russia With Love.

7/10.

It's my favourite too. The train fight with Robert Shaw is superb, and Lotte Lenya is fantasic as the main villainess Rosa Klebb. And even the plot and gadgets are plausible

Top Bottom