What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
The Mauritanian. Everyone, WATCH THIS!

Starring Jodie Foster and Benedict Cumberbatch, this is a searing indictment of the 'law' in the United States in the aftermath of 9/11 and the disgusting horrors perpetrated at Guantanamo Bay. They are (initially) on opposite sides in the specific case of Mohamedou Ould Slahi and the horrors he faced there. This should be shown on national TV but of course, never will be.

Makes me make my crime/gangster movie top 5
1.Goodfellas
2.Sexy Beast
3.Heat
4.Sonatine
5.Infernal Affairs 1&2

Honourable mentions to The Business (the very best bad movie ever), Lock Stock (when Guy Ritchie was the next Tarantino), Bittersweet Life (oozing cool - la dolce vita) and Reservoir Dogs
The Long Good Friday can kick most of those movies in the teeth with steel toecaps whilst laughing like a maniac.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Everest - Into Thin Air is one of my favourite books (pure hubris), so I was a lil sceptical about a movie, especially as it presents the tragedy from a different POV. To my irritation it is a decent flick.
3/5
Midnight in Paris - Wilson channels his inner Woody very convincingly, very enjoyable rom com 4/5
Dumb&Dumber To - not a patch on the prequel. Avoid. 1/5

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
RocknRolla.

Even if you didn't know beforehand you could probably guess within the first five minutes that it's a guy Ritchie film, not good not bad, just fairly average.

5/10.

AndyRM

XOXO
Come True - 7/10

Probably about a 6 really, but elevated by the cinematography, score and lead performances. Takes its time to explore dreams, reality and the grey areas in between and is a bit repetitive at times. The ending is odd too and didn't really make much sense (to me at least).

MntnMan62

Über Member
This evening I watched most of Roxy The Movie, starring Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention. Roxy and Elsewhere is one of my favorite albums so I can't believe it's taken me so long to getting around to watching it. There's about 10 minutes left which if I'm not mistaken is the footage of Bebop Tango. I'll finish watching it tomorrow.

image.png

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. Nominated for five Oscars apparently. Can't think why. It's barely even a film.

Apparently it started out life as a play, and boy does it show - great wardrobe, and many endless monologues in theatrical sets. There's clearly plenty of money involved, and the acting's fine, but the script is laborious and clunky, and the whole thing feels like it's been made by people who don't actually understand what a film is, or how one works. Disappointing and then some.

Father
Olivia Coleman and Anthony Hopkins in a stagey but engaging study of dementia. I wasnt expecting to like it but it is a powerful drama that plays on the mind.
Applying the "Never Go Full Retard" standard, this is Oscar bait with thespian credentials.

Last edited:
Father
Olivia Coleman and Anthony Hopkins in a stagey but engaging study of dementia. I wasnt expecting to like it but it is a powerful drama that plays on the mind.
Applying the "Never Go Full Retard" standard, this is Oscar bait with thespian credentials.
Hopkins wins Oscar for Best Actor. He is even better than a Baldwin.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This evening I watched most of Roxy The Movie, starring Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention. Roxy and Elsewhere is one of my favorite albums so I can't believe it's taken me so long to getting around to watching it. There's about 10 minutes left which if I'm not mistaken is the footage of Bebop Tango. I'll finish watching it tomorrow.

View attachment 584668
I bought that DVD a couple of months ago and completely forgot about it!

Last night I watched Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets live at the Roundhouse. I've always believed that Pink Floyd were a much better band before Dark Side of the Moon, and this tribute band celebrates that period. The live concert is interrupted from time to time with the members of the band talking about the band, so I was about half an hour in when I realised one of them was Spandau Ballet's Gary Kemp! ...and what a fine guitarist he is! Can't fault the setlist, can't fault the performances 8/10.

Might have to do Roxy tonight. :okay:

I have, having promised to do so for many years, finally sat down and watched Mama Mia and Calendar Girls...
Thoroughly enjoyed both. Brosnan has always been slated for his singing in this, but I've seen paid professionals who are worse...
And, well, Helen Mirren...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Re-animator.

Apparently it's a highpoint in eighties horror, I wouldn't quite go that far myself but it was entertaining enough.

5/10.
talking of highpoints in horror...

Beware the Moon: Remembering an American Werewolf in London

...the other night. A feature length documentary in which our host takes us to some of the locations, and cast and crew look back.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom. Nominated for five Oscars apparently. Can't think why. It's barely even a film.

Apparently it started out life as a play, and boy does it show - great wardrobe, and many endless monologues in theatrical sets. There's clearly plenty of money involved, and the acting's fine, but the script is laborious and clunky, and the whole thing feels like it's been made by people who don't actually understand what a film is, or how one works. Disappointing and then some.

I thought it really good. The only bit I agree with is that it is clearly a play, but so is 12 angry men after all

Top Bottom