What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Breakout
1997 BBC drama about release of virus from lab. Surprisingly good drama and surprisingly dated feel. Back then, mobile phones were not ubiquitous, cars had corners , men of science wore tweed jackets and ties, children ventured out alone, foreign European scientists had visa issues.

War of the Worlds and Duel

Spielberg double-header yesterday and today, great stuff!

WotR is great fun. It doesn't matter it deviates from the original story at all to me as there have been many adaptions of the original HG Wells work, though the lack of a Thunderchild equivalent during the river crossing is a missed opportunity.

Nuns on the Run and Supergrass

NotR has been a favourite of mine for years, its very silly but also very funny. As a heist film it makes no sense at times but it doesn't need to. I suppose if someones sense of humour wasn't a little childish they wouldn't like this at all but for me the best jokes don't get any less funny every time I see it.

Supergrass was a film I heard about when Robbie Coltrane passed away because of the rather epic scene below, unfortunately though it is funny the basic premise is stretched a little and would have benefited from being shorter. Still no one is bad in it and it does have a rather large cast.

View: https://youtu.be/FX51mwWyVFY

Train to Busan
A Korean Posidon Adventure but on a train not a ship, and instead of capsizing, everyone is turning into zombies due to leak at biotech company.
Still, our small band of misfits might just survive...

Quick recommendation. The Lighthouse on Film 4 at 9pm. Enjoyed it when it came out, will tune in again.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just finished Wakanda Forever.

Decent film, lovely imagery, some tasteful poignancy. A bit of a side story to the whole MCU narrative and possibly better for it.

We made it less than half way sadly. I so wanted to enjoy it as the first Black Panther was OK

Profpointy

Legendary Member
War of the Worlds and Duel

Spielberg double-header yesterday and today, great stuff!

Is that the Tom Cruise version (WoW that is) ?

Didn't realise it was Speilberg - pretty good I thought, true to the novel, and Cruise himself playing an ordinary guy rather than an action hero. Quite like the bit where he gets his gun from the cupboard in case he has to protect his family, but in the end it's valueless and he loses it. An interesting take on Chekov's rifle I thought

Top Bottom