What gig did you go to last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We went to see "Alabama 3" in Bristol on Friday. Sadly their front man Jake Black had died earlier in the year, so the gig included his distinctive voice on tape, with a statue of him centre stage and films of him shown behind. This was respectful and moving, and did work musically. Anyway it was a wonderful gig consisting mostly of material from their album "Exit on Coldharbour Lane". Rhythmically I reckon they are the tightest and most together group I've heard so it was great to hear them live. If you've not heard of them, they do an amazing, if bizarre, combination of techno/electronica and Elvis style Country Rock. They are famous for "the Sopranos" theme tune "woke up this morning"

Here is a live version of "hypo full of love" with Jake Black who was still with us at the time.

View: https://youtu.be/ihxffx4BD-g

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hot and sweaty, the floor was sticky. The sign of a good gig :thumbsup:
I went outside for a 'cigarette' a few times so not too hot and was stood at the back behind the sound desk so I could see Steve. I've been a massive fan of Steve Walwyn (incidentally a very keen cyclist) since the early 80s when he was in a band called "The DT's", a band so good that Steve Marriott joined em for a couple of years.
Played my favourite song towards the end, here's a version with Steve playing it live with Lee to show that he was in Dr Feelgood back then (although he had more hair in those days)

View: https://youtu.be/Y-3Jl11PhIM

Lullabelle

Banana
I went outside for a 'cigarette' a few times so not too hot and was stood at the back behind the sound desk so I could see Steve. I've been a massive fan of Steve Walwyn (incidentally a very keen cyclist) since the early 80s when he was in a band called "The DT's", a band so good that Steve Marriott joined em for a couple of years.
Played my favourite song towards the end, here's a version with Steve playing it live with Lee to show that he was in Dr Feelgood back then (although he had more hair in those days)

View: https://youtu.be/Y-3Jl11PhIM

We were right at the front so had a great view of everything.
Don't know much about the band to be honest apart from non of them being in the original band (?) The front man has a huge amount of energy

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We were right at the front so had a great view of everything.
Don't know much about the band to be honest apart from non of them being in the original band (?) The front man has a huge amount of energy
Yep Wilco was the first to leave in 77 after a row with Lee, they had a few guitarists til Steve was asked to join in 89, the current line up have been together for over 20 years though.

iandg

Legendary Member
Sitting in a Premier Inn in Newcastle having just watched Fontaines DC at the O2 Academy :okay:

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_232342_152.jpg
    IMG_20200110_232342_152.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3

Jenkins

Legendary Member
First gig of the year - Bombay Bicycle Club at the Cambridge Corn Exchange, with support from The Big Moon & Liz Lawrence. To be folowed by a couple next week (Monday, Penelope Isles & Thursday, Girl Ray) closer to home at the Smokehouse in Ipswich and then two more the following week on consecutive days at the Portland Arms in Cambridge (Sorry & Wasuremono).

AndyRM

XOXO
We went to see "Alabama 3" in Bristol on Friday. Sadly their front man Jake Black had died earlier in the year, so the gig included his distinctive voice on tape, with a statue of him centre stage and films of him shown behind. This was respectful and moving, and did work musically. Anyway it was a wonderful gig consisting mostly of material from their album "Exit on Coldharbour Lane". Rhythmically I reckon they are the tightest and most together group I've heard so it was great to hear them live. If you've not heard of them, they do an amazing, if bizarre, combination of techno/electronica and Elvis style Country Rock. They are famous for "the Sopranos" theme tune "woke up this morning"

Here is a live version of "hypo full of love" with Jake Black who was still with us at the time.

View: https://youtu.be/ihxffx4BD-g

I didn't know about Jake. That's a real shame, he had a great voice.

Saw them once a few years ago, easily one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

I was talking to Dave, one of our Consultants at work this evening, & he told me about at band that's coming to Holmfirth (in March)
He knows that I quite like them, but have only found out, at other times after they'd been:sad:

On arriving home, I broached the subject to Senior Management, as she'd suggested we went to see more bands, after seeing The Stray Cats in Manchester last year

I played a couple tracks on YouTube
She said "Yes":eek:

https://www.picturedrome.net/tickets/Hayseed Dixie/20200327.htm

Oh, & Big Country are also playing (4th April) https://www.picturedrome.net/tickets/Big Country/20200404.htm

I was talking to Dave, one of our Consultants at work this evening, & he told me about at band that's coming to Holmfirth (in March)
He knows that I quite like them, but have only found out, at other times after they'd been:sad:

On arriving home, I broached the subject to Senior Management, as she'd suggested we went to see more bands, after seeing The Stray Cats in Manchester last year

I played a couple tracks on YouTube
She said "Yes":eek:

I wasn't certain she's agree, as a while ago, whilst driving to that other dark, fearful land (Birmingham, not Lancashire.... that time), the CD player was playing a Hayseed Dixie CD, & the track She Was Skinny When I Met her came on

I got one of those looks...... all married men know them
Thankfully, I don't think she made the connection:eek:

EDIT @ 09:09
Ordered x 2

For those who don't know, & for those that do too

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krfz0FT9FRg

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wasn't certain she's agree, as a while ago, whilst driving to that other dark, fearful land (Birmingham, not Lancashire.... that time), the CD player was playing a Hayseed Dixie CD, & the track She Was Skinny When I Met her came on

I got one of those looks...... all married men know them
Thankfully, I don't think she made the connection:eek:

EDIT @ 09:09
Ordered x 2

For those who don't know, & for those that do too

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krfz0FT9FRg

I've seen them a few times. Great fun live act. They always put on a top notch show.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Celebration of the Music of Peter Green tomorrow. Just did a bit of searching and the going rate for my £62 tickets is something over £400.
But with Billy Gibbons, David Gilmour, Jonny Lang, Andy Fairweather Low, John Mayall, Christine McVie, Zak Starkey, Steven Tyler, Bill Wyman and more to be announced (Pete Townsend & Noel Gallager). Legendary producer Glyn Johns has joined as the executive sound producer and the house band will feature Fleetwood himself along with Andy Fairweather Low, Dave Bronze, and Ricky Peterson.
Even £400, restricted leg room and a safety bar won't persuade me to sell.
Photos to follow.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Celebration of the Music of Peter Green tomorrow. Just did a bit of searching and the going rate for my £62 tickets is something over £400.
But with Billy Gibbons, David Gilmour, Jonny Lang, Andy Fairweather Low, John Mayall, Christine McVie, Zak Starkey, Steven Tyler, Bill Wyman and more to be announced (Pete Townsend & Noel Gallager). Legendary producer Glyn Johns has joined as the executive sound producer and the house band will feature Fleetwood himself along with Andy Fairweather Low, Dave Bronze, and Ricky Peterson.
Even £400, restricted leg room and a safety bar won't persuade me to sell.
Photos to follow.
£62 for that lot? Bargain.

Last night's show for me: Lindemann (as in Till Lindemann, Rammstein singer, and his side-project with Swedish friend of Pain, Hypocrisy and various other projects, Peter Tägtgren). Very loud, very rude, very funny, and a first at a gig: cake, and later fish, being thrown into the audience.

Top Bottom