What got you interested in cycling (or interested again)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
As a kid I was always bombing around on various shapes and forms of bikes (the neighbours used to bring all their old scrap bike bits to our house and me and my mates used to mash-up rad combos and make our very own oddball BSOs) ... and up to around the time I discovered girl, cars, and beer I cycled all over the place.

Then it stopped and I didn't pick it up again until around 10 years ago when I quit my 40-a-day smoking habit. I bought an MTB with the first couple of months money I saved and have since acquired all manner of kit and a couple of very nice bikes.

So what got you started (or re-started) in cycling?

I used to ride loads as a kid, then a bit when commuting in London, but stopped riding for about 18 years. I also gave up smoking about 2 months before I turned 40, so decided a road bike would be good for my 40th, mainly just to get fit. This was 2 years ago, and now I am addicted to cycling, I have 2 road bikes and way too much kit:wahhey:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I used to cycle a lot when at college but stopped when I started driving to work. I restarted about 10 years ago after moving house and job which allowed me to get the train with a Brompton and cycle every weekday. Got rid of the car about five years ago, and in the last year or so I bought my first ever road bike. I just need a bigger shed as I can't keep the bike in the spare room for ever.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I rode from about age 10/11 and kept doing so until I finished my nurse training when I was 21.
I even used to cycle to work, several miles away, and remember being tailed by the Police about 5.30am one morning as I headed to work.
It was only when I got there that I realised the clocks had changed and I was out cycling at 4.30am :laugh:
They must have wondered what I was up to at that time of day!

Edited to add: I was super fit back then and was ploughing my way up a hill standing up on the pedals - I'd like to think they were just admiring the view!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As with most kids in the 70's, we did everything on and went everywhere by bike. Not new ones but usually bikes either given to us or found (a few times at the local dump) which we cobbled together (I do remember a lovely Coventry Eagle that I picked up once). I used to Cycle to school and then used to commute to work in the early 80's. Then a few things happened at once that caused me to give up cycling in the mid 80's. I had a child, I got a job which meant travelling around the UK and Europe and to top it all my bike was nicked. I never got a replacement.

Roll on forward nearly 20 years, I was approaching my 40th birthday I was fat and unhealthy, we had just moved house which was a mile and a half from the nearest train station. I thought I know, i'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone... I will get a bike, cycle commute and get back to being fit. And that was it. First few times I thought I was going to die. It took me 7 minutes to cycle and half an hour to recover. But I kept at it. Extended the commute and started doing longer rides with a local group. That was 8 years ago and I haven't looked back.

Same ... used to ride around the open roads as a youngster(70 s) 5 lads in our street decided to start a club early 80 s

We started to go further a field ... I need a new bike to keep up , I used to help a local milk man for pocket money.

I needed £75 for a bike in a shop window ,I bought it from 2 years savings , we used to strip down the bikes in the week

Ready for the weekends rides ... had 10/15 years off (children work etc) now back in 7 years ago ... now ride with a club

And track regular ,I have 4 bikes 3 road 1 track.. Best sport in the world ! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bayerd

Über Member
As with most blokes in their 40s I spent a large amount of my childhood on a bike. Then I moved away to college and didn't take one with me.
My sister gave me an Apollo hybrid about 4 1/2 years ago when I decided it was time to shed a few stone in weight. Some of it has gradually come back on in the meantime, so I've pushed myself to get out there more often again.

I'm glad I did, I'm really enjoying my cycling again :-)

Doyleyburger

Veteran
In my late teens I always cycled to work, even though I had a car as I found it quicker to get home on a bike filtering through traffic etc
Fast forward 13 years and I hadn't touched a bike apart from making up my daughters one for Xmas.
Anyway a couple of mates joined a local bike club and and I followed. On my 2nd bike now since last July and I can't get enough of this sport

Top Bottom