What happens when a cyclist breaks the speed limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Honestly feels like I'm talking to someone from the Daily Mail
That's funny, I was just feeling the same way when faced with your astounding sense of entitlement and refusal to accept that your actions may affect others detrimentally.
It's like listening to a parent complaining about all the school run cars preventing them driving their little darling to the school gates.

Boopop

Guru
That's funny, I was just feeling the same way when faced with your astounding sense of entitlement and refusal to accept that your actions may affect others detrimentally.

Sod it, I'm going there. What do you think when people of ethnic minorities, or minority sexualities, or any other characteristic that's uncommon in this country do stuff you don't like - does that affect your opinion of people that belong to that whole cohort too?

It's an actual bull shoot issue. We should point it out as such, not pander to it.

Boldened for emphasis, bingo!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Easier with some bikes than others.
1621605733933.png

Solocle

Über Member
This is why, like @I like Skol I make damn sure I stick to the rules of the road because cyclists are viewed as a homogenous group by some and if I can do just a little bit to show that cyclists don't cycle in a rubbish way that has to be a positive thing
But exceeding the speed limit on a bike is still sticking to the rules of the road. Now, I've been known to jump the odd traffic light when I've come to the conclusion that they're not going to change, but by its very nature that's unlikely to be seen (a car behind will change them, for instance).

So it's fair to say that I'm not a stickler for the rules - equally, just because you're allowed to do something, doesn't make it prudent. But, like overtaking, if it's safe, legal, and makes progress, then go for it.

If doing 40 mph in a 30 limit rather than 30 mph means that you aren't being squashed against the kerb by motorists obsessed with overtaking you, because bike, thus allowing you to ride in primary++ and therefore giving far more reaction time and space to any pedestrians walking out, it may well even end up being safer than keeping to the limit. Again, not necessarily, but that comes down to reading the road, not the number on a sign.

For instance, coming down Cumnor Hill into Oxford, the speed limit drops from 40 to 30 mph, and I'd generally stay doing closer to 40. The biggest hazard was the junction with Eynsham Road, where drivers would inevitably decide that bike=slow, so pull out on you.

By doing 40 mph, you could easily pull into the right hand lane and overtake any dozy twit, comfortable in the knowledge that you yourself were not being overtaken, particularly given the speed camera at that location :becool:

Sadly I never saw the blasted thing flash me. 🤬
1621607048970.png

I would put money on you being in more danger if you were doing 30 rather than 40 there.

Last edited:
Whenever I see videos of cycling in The Netherlands I am struck by the different types of bike used by the majority of city riders there compared to the UK and the different types of rider. It appears that utilitarian bikes are much more popular there than the UK, perhaps demonstrating a totally different, possibly more mature, attitude to cycling by riders and the authorities.

Hardly an mtb or road bike in sight. Perhaps those are kept for off-road and open roads.

Boopop

Guru
Whenever I see videos of cycling in The Netherlands I am struck by the different types of bike used by the majority of city riders there compared to the UK and the different types of rider. It appears that utilitarian bikes are much more popular there than the UK, perhaps demonstrating a totally different, possibly more mature, attitude to cycling by riders and the authorities.

Hardly an mtb or road bike in sight. Perhaps those are kept for off-road and open roads.

I think that's a consequence of it being seen as a legitimate form of transport more than anything else. I suspect there's a pretty tight correlation between utility cycles and safe cycling infrastructure provision. I certainly see more town bikes and cargo bikes in London and Cambridge than most other towns and cities in the UK.

Places where you have to share the road with motor vehicles, you're far less likely to see cargo bikes, and much more likely to see hybrids and road bikes that stand a chance at going at a speed that won't piss off drivers. That and dangerous roads tend to be self selecting for the most confident road users...generally young to middle aged men.

Also you have to look pretty hard in the UK to find a town bike to begin with. Certainly as a kid/teenager I suspect they're viewed as "uncool", whereas in NL they're probably just seen in the same way as say a Ford Focus is here - a utility vehicle.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What about that mikey fella on youtube who makes sure all the motorists he comes across are following the rules, often stepping out in front of motorists to confront them? On the one hand, he is an exemplary cyclist, following the rules and ensuring others do (including cyclists). On the other hand he p1sses pretty much every motorist off when he confronts them, sometimes leading to court action and convictions... Would you argue his actions are improving driver/cyclist relations or harming them?

Sod it, I'm going there. What do you think when people of ethnic minorities, or minority sexualities, or any other characteristic that's uncommon in this country do stuff you don't like - does that affect your opinion of people that belong to that whole cohort too?
Had to be done. Well played.

Boopop

Guru
What about that mikey fella on youtube who makes sure all the motorists he comes across are following the rules, often stepping out in front of motorists to confront them? On the one hand, he is an exemplary cyclist, following the rules and ensuring others do (including cyclists). On the other hand he p1sses pretty much every motorist off when he confronts them, sometimes leading to court action and convictions... Would you argue his actions are improving driver/cyclist relations or harming them?

The drivers he's pissing off are the ones who are already driving dangerously. Fine with me.

EDIT: Mind, I do think he gets a bit too involved on twitter. Twitter's a black hole of social media, I don't think spending hours on there arguing with people does anyone any favours.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The drivers he's pissing off are the ones who are already driving dangerously. Fine with me.
Which leads me to suspect that you would say they are harming them, despite operating in a positive capacity to ensure the roads are used within the parameters of the law for the benefit of everybody?
He isn't the police, but is doing nothing illegal at least in my limited understanding of it...

My point being, even positive or perceived positive actions can lead to negative ones whether we like it or not...

I agree with Skol about riding within road and traffic laws but i question the validity of a cyclist leaving a positive enough impression that they no longer hate the cyclist or see reason with the insurance and tax arguments because there is more to it than that...

Reactions: mjr

Boopop

Guru
My point being, even positive or perceived positive actions can lead to negative ones whether we like it or not...

Well, I would hope that at least in the cases where the police do get involved and fine the driver, they would get some sort of education regarding why what they did was wrong. Admittedly optimistic, but what's the alternative? Cross our fingers and hope the police up their game? I run cameras on my bike as I'd rather at least try to help penalise dangerous drivers with the help of the police. I know the chances are infintesimally small, but the thought of me not reporting a dangerous driver and then weeks later that same driver killing a friend in the cycling club makes my stomach churn. I suspect that's the same line of thinking he goes through. Admittedly he goes out with the express purpose of finding such drivers.

i question the validity of a cyclist leaving a positive enough impression that they no longer hate the cyclist or see reason with the insurance and tax arguments because there is more to it than that...

People notice those that affect their lives in a negative way, not those that are behaving as expected. The idea that me cycling considerately (which I do) improves a driver's opinion of all cyclists seems very unlikely to me. I cycle considerately because it's the right thing to do, not some nebulous group responsibility and reputation.

EDIT: Mind, I do think he gets a bit too involved on twitter. Twitter's a black hole of social media, I don't think spending hours on there arguing with people does anyone any favours.
Agreed. But I'm sure he thinks his twitter posts are the right thing to say. Not everyone has supreme PR skills - he is doing more of use than most keyboard warriors, and that includes all us distinguished gentlemen of CycleChat.

Boopop

Guru
Agreed. But I'm sure he thinks his twitter posts are the right thing to say. Not everyone has supreme PR skills - he is doing more of use than most keyboard warriors, and that includes all us distinguished gentlemen of CycleChat.

Personally I got involved in the local cycling campaign group, that tends to feel more productive than both social media rants and telling the police about dangerous drivers 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom