What happens when a cyclist breaks the speed limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Uhh, nope,
Shame, you were sounding like marriage material.

[It's a line from an old drinking song BTW. But never mind ...]

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
That's exactly what happens on Cyclechat!!!

You want to look at all the threads that castigate BMW drivers, Audi drivers etc? Cyclechat posters treat drivers of specific brands of cars as a big homogenous group

Oh dear! I used to be a BMW driver.... but... I have seen the error of my ways (I think)... I drive a Renault or a Fiat now (when not cycling) ;)

Re: reasons for doing The Right Thing, I just saw this:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
View attachment 589917
Also bull shoot. It is not easy and convenient. The trolley pen is never anywhere near the parking spaces, so do you leave your shopping unattended on the bike or try to balance both bike and trolley halfway across the site? Or leave the trolley by the bike bay for another shopper?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
View attachment 589917
I suppose on the flip side of that, councils see giving your parking ticket with time left on it to another parked motorist as fraud and have installed parking machines that require you type in part or in full your registration number. What others see as the right thing, others see as criminal. You can't win...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'll leave it with one thought...I do indeed regard my actions as a cyclist having an impact on other cyclists on the road as a common member of a minority group which car drivers do indeed regard with homogeneity. So I do what I can to be polite, friendly and considerate to all other road users because (a) I'm a friendly, polite and considerate person (b) I hope that if I can be like this, some car drivers will adopt a more considerate approach with all cyclists

You are to be applauded. 👏👏

Every cyclist I know and ride with tries to do the same. We wave, smile, nod, thumbs-up, speak as appropriate which is always received positively and a positive response received back. Whether it makes a difference and a contribution to a more positive view of cyclists I cannot prove or disprove. However it costs nothing and makes us feel we are contributing positively to the cycling community of which we are a part.

There will always be selfish, inconsiderate and self-entitled individuals using the road. Some of them drive BMWs, Audis and white Vans - others ride bikes which to my disappointment but not surprise is clearly demonstrated by posters in this thread.

@I like Skol - some great posts. Thank you. 👏

Boopop

Guru
Every cyclist I know and ride with tries to do the same. We wave, smile, nod, thumbs-up, speak as appropriate which is always received positively and a positive response received back.

You appear to be under the impression that based on what I've said I don't do any of those things...there you would be wrong.

cycling community of which we are a part

Are you a part of the "driving community" too? What about the "pedestrian community"? Do you have weekly meetings with your local members?

There will always be selfish, inconsiderate and self-entitled individuals using the road...others ride bikes which to my disappointment but not surprise is clearly demonstrated by posters in this thread.

I assume that was aimed at me. I'll remember how "selfish, inconsiderate and self-entitled" I am next time I volunteer to deliver food or help run the local Dr Bike sessions. :laugh:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You appear to be under the impression that based on what I've said I don't do any of those things...there you would be wrong.

Are you a part of the "driving community" too? What about the "pedestrian community"? Do you have weekly meetings with your local members?

I assume that was aimed at me. I'll remember how "selfish, inconsiderate and self-entitled" I am next time I volunteer to deliver food or help run the local Dr Bike sessions. :laugh:
You are incorrect. If I had wanted to aim my post at anyone individual I would mention that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom