What has CycleChat done for you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It connected me to like-minded cyclists who, introduced me to cycling in places I would otherwise, have never visited.

Thanks to CC, I have made new friends and broadened my horizons.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
  • Nearly six years of great practical advice and money saving tips.
  • Inspiration to try out routes away from home. Exactly what I needed to stretch my horizons. "Your Ride Today" is my favourite thread.
  • Found my cycling club through this forum - 168 club rides ago.
  • The Metric Century a Month Challenge. Once I started I just couldn't stop. I recommend everyone gives one of the monthly challenges a go.
  • A great bunch of people both online and in person. A pleasure to meet and ride with several members over the years - with special mention to @jembullo and @Banjo my occasional audax companions.
  • Thank you Cyclechat.

Too many to list, really, but here's a smattering:

• Met some wonderful people through the medium of CC Ecosse rides - always a huge highlight
  • Made some firm friends from aforementioned CC Ecosse rides
  • Exposed a lot of people to my terrible opinions (and on tour, my snoring)
  • Provided me with a lot of good memories (and some not so good... 6 pints? whose idea was 6 pints? :whistle:)
  • The Imperial Century A Month thread made me push myself harder in 2015 than I thought possible, allowing me to strike off three major bucket list items in a single year (and fail the challenge on the very last day of the year :okay:)
  • Thanks to the Carlisle to Newcastle night ride (HT @mcshroom) I regained my confidence to ride bikes at night after a big crash in 2008
  • Gave me the opportunity to steal patter from @Pat "5mph" (I simply don't do group rides without the word "andiamo!" being exclaimed at some point)
  • Kept me sane (mostly :crazy:)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Got some good advice when I returned to cycling three and a half years ago - no, it's not nuts to buy a junior bike when you're somewhat undertall, and if in doubt for clothing, Decathlon. :laugh:

Bought a bike off @wanda2010 and @I like Skol very kindly sent me some spare cleat bolts after I found myself in possession of three bolts for two pairs of shoes...

Have learnt a lot about bikes and bike bits and fixing things and knowing what to look for, and have passed on some of that info to others as well.

Saddles and short combos are as personal and individual as your fingerprints - and likewise with sports bras for us ladies.

Been inspired (and helped) to do daft things on a bike in Hampshire when I don't have hill legs, and it's become ordinary to use a bike for stuff that has my non-cycling friends think I've got a whole bag of screws loose. :laugh:

Best of all, having a laugh with some like-minded folk. :okay:

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
Phew! I thought it was OCD that had me coming on here most days.

13 rider

Guru
Turned me from a leisure cyclist happy to do 20 miles into a 10000 miles year riding obsessed with riding a least 50 km thanks to the challenge . Got I have this forum :laugh:. By taking the plunge and arrange a forum ride have made some great friends and cycling bubbies . I have also met @Supersuperleeds who persuaded me to do the imperial century a month challenge god I dislike him for that :laugh: especially during November's wet ride
Seriously this forum has transformed my cycling for the better and I thank it for that

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
I went from barely being able to fix a flat tyre to doing several project strip down / rebuilds over the last couple of years - while I'm sure I could have sourced the know-how from other sites, it was the encouragement and enthusiasm of other CycleChat members that enabled me to first take the plunge and then persevere and finally finish them off.

My yearly mileage has varied considerably since joining with my available time away from work, and chatting to and reading other members thoughts has helped me feel less despondent when my average speeds and ride lengths go to pot, and to just focus on enjoying the time on the bike however slow I'm going.

Top Bottom