What has CycleChat done for you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I was reflecting today on what CycleChat has done for me. I got back into cycling in 2009 and was desperate for information and spent a lot of time reading articles on different bikes, gears, kit, repairs etc. Cyclechat was about the only forum site I could access at work, so it became my 'go to' place.

I remember reading about the Friday Night Ride to the Coast rides on here and was intrigued. I signed up and did my first one to Southend in April 2010. To be honest the ride was a bit of a disaster, with heavy rain, ambulances and the ride breaking up into different groups. However I loved the adventure and was hooked and have gone up to do countless more and I am now heavily involved in the organisation of the club. I also met a number of riders on the ride, most notably @rb58 who was also on his first ride.

In June 2010 I did Lejog and wanted a challenge to keep my fitness up. I read about the Imperial Century Challenge and thought this would be sufficiently motivating having just done my first Century ride in May. After only doing this for 6 months, I thought I would see if I could do a whole calendar year....and the rest of history. I have just completed my ninth year of this crazy challenge and have been fortunate to have done century rides in Norway, France, Spain, Iceland, Australia and USA along the way. I have also developed a great friendship with @ianrauk and @rb58 who started around the same time. I can't count the number of century rides we have done together, but it is probably over 30.

Cyclechat has been a constant part of my cycling life and I have made some great friends along the way and taken part in some magnificent rides. Highlights include organising the first Winchester to London group ride with @rb58 and taking part in the Sunday London rides. Hopefully in 2020 I will find the time to organise more group rides. I have also enjoyed meeting up socially with so many of you and I am looking forward to catching up with many of you at our London drinks on the 19th Dec.

So what has Cyclechat done for you?

And finally a few pics, featuring amongst others: @StuAff @theclaud @slowmotion @rb58 @ianrauk @Tim O

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0170.jpg

post ride drinks.jpg

Slick

Guru
It's cost me a few quid since I discovered the found a bargain thread. :eek:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's become a 'go to' place and I don't really visit other sites/forums, partly due to a lack of time. I've learnt a lot as well.

I've met a few CC'ers as well along the way.

Oh, and like others the 'bargain', 'For Sale' and 'Ebay and auction watch' threads/sections have cost me quite a bit. Made me a bit. And probably saved a bit as well over 8 years.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It's educated me. Corrected me. Allowed me to educate and correct others. Boosted my self esteem (those likes are a brill idea). Allowed me to share my experiences and enjoy reading others experiences. Despite my social inadequacy, been on some rides with other members who made me feel welcome. Certain threads (ABC and churches) have forced me out on the bike and I've damn well enjoyed those rides. Been made to feel at home amongst the cc family.
In short, a hell of a alot.

Drago

Legendary Member
It put me in touch with a few fellows, whom I have met and who are most excellent fellows.

I very nearly bought a frame from @biggs682, a saucy looking thing that he'd just had powder coated in orange, but I was worried that it was just a smidgen to small for my mighty, towering frame. But on the plus side I got to meet Biggs, who reminds me of Arkwright from Open All hours.

And CycleChat also bequeathed to me my 1983 531 Claud, requiring only a full strip, clean and brace of consumables to rejuvenate it and get it ready for the next 35 years service.

And in return I started the trig bagging thread, which has got riders out exploring and racking up the miles far more effectively than CyclingUk ever did.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Many members various gave me lots of support, and gave me the confidence to shove my bike into the bottom of a replacement bus service , when my scheduled train was impeded due to flooding in Spain, this autumn. :hello:

I've acquired a jolly nice squeezy hooter from a now, no longer participating member - (i hope it wasn't anything i said)

And a lovely new (second hand) ortlieb front box from @PeteXXX (the midges are still in place btw) just the thing for snacks and gloves and and and..

I've had some very interesting 'discussions' on subjects many and various, both bike and non bike related, with a good broad swathe of personkind...

I bought a new saddle of the 'spoon' variety on someones, recommend - and very comfy it is too - thanks.

CC has confirmed my complete lack of interest in competitive cycling , in any shape or form.

I've not yet met anyone off of here in the flesh - not to my knowledge anyhow - but who knows - maybe one day...:rolleyes:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ruined my life! Has swallowed months of my life, I missed my children growing up as a result. My marriage is on the brink and if I don't stop obsessing about bikes and bike riding I could lose my job....
on the otherhand, the forum has introduced me to a group of people the likes of which you would normally cross the road to avoid. Never could you imagine a more despicable, hateful, self-interested bunch. I have made some friends for life :laugh:
I actually do ride with some of these internet personas.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I was reflecting today on what CycleChat has done for me. I got back into cycling in 2009 and was desperate for information and spent a lot of time reading articles on different bikes, gears, kit, repairs etc. Cyclechat was about the only forum site I could access at work, so it became my 'go to' place.

I remember reading about the Friday Night Ride to the Coast rides on here and was intrigued. I signed up and did my first one to Southend in April 2010. To be honest the ride was a bit of a disaster, with heavy rain, ambulances and the ride breaking up into different groups. However I loved the adventure and was hooked and have gone up to do countless more and I am now heavily involved in the organisation of the club. I also met a number of riders on the ride, most notably @rb58 who was also on his first ride.

In June 2010 I did Lejog and wanted a challenge to keep my fitness up. I read about the Imperial Century Challenge and thought this would be sufficiently motivating having just done my first Century ride in May. After only doing this for 6 months, I thought I would see if I could do a whole calendar year....and the rest of history. I have just completed my ninth year of this crazy challenge and have been fortunate to have done century rides in Norway, France, Spain, Iceland, Australia and USA along the way. I have also developed a great friendship with @ianrauk and @rb58 who started around the same time. I can't count the number of century rides we have done together, but it is probably over 30.

Cyclechat has been a constant part of my cycling life and I have made some great friends along the way and taken part in some magnificent rides. Highlights include organising the first Winchester to London group ride with @rb58 and taking part in the Sunday London rides. Hopefully in 2020 I will find the time to organise more group rides. I have also enjoyed meeting up socially with so many of you and I am looking forward to catching up with many of you at our London drinks on the 19th Dec.

So what has Cyclechat done for you?

And finally a few pics, featuring amongst others: @StuAff @theclaud @slowmotion @rb58 @ianrauk @Tim O

View attachment 495795

View attachment 495796
View attachment 495797

My experience too. I've met and ridden with nearly all those people and many more on the same and other rides.
Also gifted a Pearson single speed from a past member.

Also all the great mechanical advice and the mundane thread which is where a lot of us should have our mail delivered to as we seem to live there.

Oh and some jokes too. I guess the juries still out on whether any of them are any good though.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's educated me. Corrected me. Allowed me to educate and correct others. Boosted my self esteem (those likes are a brill idea). Allowed me to share my experiences and enjoy reading others experiences. Despite my social inadequacy, been on some rides with other members who made me feel welcome. Certain threads (ABC and churches) have forced me out on the bike and I've damn well enjoyed those rides. Been made to feel at home amongst the cc family.
In short, a hell of a alot.
I couldn't have put it better.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ruined my life! Has swallowed months of my life, I missed my children growing up as a result. My marriage is on the brink and if I don't stop obsessing about bikes and bike riding I could lose my job....
on the otherhand, the forum has introduced me to a group of people the likes of which you would normally cross the road to avoid. Never could you imagine a more despicable, hateful, self-interested bunch. I have made some friends for life :laugh:
I actually do ride with some of these internet personas.
All you need now is to take up bass like an increasing number of us have and divorce will be a dead cert.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Many members various gave me lots of support, and gave me the confidence to shove my bike into the bottom of a replacement bus service , when my scheduled train was impeded due to flooding in Spain, this autumn. :hello:

I've acquired a jolly nice squeezy hooter from a now, no longer participating member - (i hope it wasn't anything i said)

And a lovely new (second hand) ortlieb front box from @PeteXXX (the midges are still in place btw) just the thing for snacks and gloves and and and..

I've had some very interesting 'discussions' on subjects many and various, both bike and non bike related, with a good broad swathe of personkind...

I bought a new saddle of the 'spoon' variety on someones, recommend - and very comfy it is too - thanks.

CC has confirmed my complete lack of interest in competitive cycling , in any shape or form.

I've not yet met anyone off of here in the flesh - not to my knowledge anyhow - but who knows - maybe one day...:rolleyes:
Brought together by CC & midgies.. 👍🏼

Globalti

Legendary Member
Arguably CC helped kick-start our move to Scotland when I asked @Yellow Saddle to cycle out and track down the owner of a self-built house I spotted while sailing up Loch Sween. He did, we visited them, were inspired and have started building. I've met quite a few members including @ColinJ and learned a lot. I also go on Singletrack and UKClimbing, and all three sites have helped me keep the retirement dream alive while going through a horrible time at work.

Top Bottom