What has CycleChat done for you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There used to be a topless car wash in Milton Keynes.

Didn't the seats get a bit wet ??

12boy

Guru
Now CC has made me a little sad. I would enjoy a ride and a face to face chat with some of you very much as is possible for many of you with each other. Still, if any of you happen to pass through my little corner of the world, let me know. Makes me think of day when riding home I encountered an old man (probably younger than I am now) who was riding a heavily panniered bike and who asked if I recommended the Ft Casper or the Antelope KOA campgrounds. I said the Ft Casper is about a mile to your left, and quiet, but if you need a little exercise the Antelope is about 9 miles east. He says "considering I just rode 140 miles from Rawlins, Ft Casper will do." He had ridden solo from New Jersey to Casper, about 1900 miles, on his way to San Francisco. Perhaps one of youse will too.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Now CC has made me a little sad. I would enjoy a ride and a face to face chat with some of you very much as is possible for many of you with each other. Still, if any of you happen to pass through my little corner of the world, let me know. Makes me think of day when riding home I encountered an old man (probably younger than I am now) who was riding a heavily panniered bike and who asked if I recommended the Ft Casper or the Antelope KOA campgrounds. I said the Ft Casper is about a mile to your left, and quiet, but if you need a little exercise the Antelope is about 9 miles east. He says "considering I just rode 140 miles from Rawlins, Ft Casper will do." He had ridden solo from New Jersey to Casper, about 1900 miles, on his way to San Francisco. Perhaps one of youse will too.

i'd love to come and ride my bike in The States one day - some of it looks 'awesome' as you guys have made us say.

However, i run a farm. and i don't fly ( i know - so awkward :blink:) so it will have to wait til i can get at least three good months of farm sitting in place and passage on a cargo ship - or persuade one of my sailing friends to see me across the pond with bike.

WY is Wyoming yes? I've heard there are some lovely places there - will make sure to look you up if i do get there... :smile:

If its any consolation i've never met anyone off of CC in person either - and i suspect at least 4/5 of em would pedal very hard in the opposite direction if they knew i was headed their way :laugh:

12boy

Guru
Yes, WY is our abbreviation for Wyoming. I get not loving flying. And since it is too far to swim a boat would be best. And yes, Wyoming, Montana, Utah and Colorado all have lots to see and enjoy and you could see a lot in a summer. At 99k sq miles, and a population of 550k, there are still more pronghorn antelope than humans in this state. And, we have badgers, too.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, WY is our abbreviation for Wyoming. I get not loving flying. And since it is too far to swim a boat would be best. And yes, Wyoming, Montana, Utah and Colorado all have lots to see and enjoy and you could see a lot in a summer. At 99k sq miles, and a population of 550k, there are still more pronghorn antelope than humans in this state. And, we have badgers, too.

Arrgghhh badgers??

I've got too many of them critter here, they maraud my corn and field beans.

The rest of it sounds very lovely though.

The not flying thing is cos I'm an eco-freak of many decades standing..

I've often wondered about the possibilities of an ocean-going pedalo.

I'm not really selling myself here am I :wacko:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Arrgghhh badgers??

Maybe not quite ocean-going...

... and it might take a while :whistle:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Arrgghhh badgers??

Badgers in Illinois as well, I fear.
Wyoming has this, though.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Back onto the original subject (warning - Coast-to-coast reference again):

9 years ago now I decided, that after a run of 4 second-hand road bikes, I would buy myself a brand new one. Previously my biggest ride had been a 32 mile one-off commute and back again.

Budget set, and came on here to look for some advice. What I really wanted was a high-speed commuting bike. One that would help me beat the average speed by car. However once the bike was bought, I was distracted by a fellow member of the forum (@Downward ) to start pushing distances up from the simple commute. Aided by another member of the forum that enjoyed taking us up some of the bigger hills in the area, but at a speed I could easily manage (@lifeson), I started looking at 30 mile rides as being a nice Saturday morning outing. Then decided to have a go at a 50 mile sportive, expecting it to be the biggest and most memorable ride of my life - something I would tell my grandchildren about. Did well. Beat the time of Martin Johnson (England rugby world cup winning captain) on the same ride.

Then I found out about Audaxes (on here) and social rides (also on here), and next thing I knew, the 100 mile ride was an inevitable goal. And then a 200km Audax, and not even the easiest - the notorious Kidderminster Killer in 2012. 50 miles? That's a training ride!

Despite a temporary respite due to fatherhood, this year I completed coast-to-coast in a day, with 150 miles and 4,500m of climbing. Furthermore I promised myself that my son would never be so small-minded as to thing that 50 miles is a good achievement, and that 100 miles is only for the super-fit freaks. He's up to 21 miles now, and only 6.

So, because of CC I have had my horizons opened, visited places I had never been to before, pushed my body to an extend I didn't even think possible, met some great people and made some great friends, and spent a lot of money on bike kit (arm warmers, overshoes) that I would never have even thought of buying.

I want my money back!!

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It has and continues to give me a great deal of enjoyment. It's somewhere to visit, smile and learn in the long hours of night when sleep refuses to come - like now.

The Retirement Thread is a constant smile full of the mysteries that only retired folk can truly understand. The joy of behaving in a slightly batty way without anyone caring. More seriously I feel the regulars who visit could be relied on for advice and help if ever one sort it out. A testimony to people because as far as I know none of us have met in the real world.

I've learned lots of things about cycling most of which I've forgotten as they have become things I know but I've no idea where they originated from.

I've no mechanical knowledge so it's always interesting to read a few threads discussing maintenance which are completely beyond my understanding. :laugh:

The most useful things I've learned? Without doubt the No.1 thing is the "Mickle Method." My drive chain is always spotless thanks to this simple but essential and very effective piece of maintenance. I would argue it's the single most important maintenance job.

Something like 10-12 years ago I gained the confidence to spend a king"s ransom on Assos bib shorts. I've been wearing the same style ever since.

Oh and Mr. Sheen. I'm obsessive about clean bikes and Mr. Sheen is just so good!!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have had the good fortune to meet quite a few fellow members on daytime rides and the FNRTTC rides. Always friendly, enthusiastic and good humoured. A great bunch of people.
The various forums are a great font of information. Something for everyone, even if sometimes there are a few disagreements and the odd spat.

Top Bottom