What has CycleChat done for you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
less patience for repeated questions
I may be alone, or in a minority on this, but I quite like repeated questions. Quite often the questioner has a new take on "how can I get a lower bottom gear". Even perennial favourites like "what chain lube" are always worth a read. Just to check that I am indeed a credulous nitwit for buying my favoured colloidal gold with nanoparticles lube at a tenner for a minscule 5 ml bottle (Or whatever my last impulse buy was).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My forum interests are pretty much Bikeforums and CycleChat. While the former is possibly more technical, and has a lot more input from folks in other parts of the world, it is a much more hardnosed forum with less patience for repeated questions and disagreements can get ugly. This forum, mostly UK people, give me a window into a culture very different than my own. I enjoy your humor and the obvious affection many of you have for each other. I also enjoy the differences in our shared language and sometimes have to google what these words mean to you. In a perhaps tasteless example, today I've run across the word hooter, which in this country does not mean a horn but rather a redneck way of referring to a lady's chest. I also find your willingness to discuss personal problems and the kindness and sympathy shown in those discussions to be touching. Much like my many bikes, I would have to say CycleChat has been good to me.
:rolleyes:

I'd forgotten that other slang definition of 'hooters'

In that context, my writing a kids book, about my 'squeezy hooter' would be even more hilarious / inappropriate.

Langwitch, esp in written form btxt strangers really can trip us up :wacko:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
My forum interests are pretty much Bikeforums and CycleChat. While the former is possibly more technical, and has a lot more input from folks in other parts of the world, it is a much more hardnosed forum with less patience for repeated questions and disagreements can get ugly. This forum, mostly UK people, give me a window into a culture very different than my own. I enjoy your humor and the obvious affection many of you have for each other. I also enjoy the differences in our shared language and sometimes have to google what these words mean to you. In a perhaps tasteless example, today I've run across the word hooter, which in this country does not mean a horn but rather a redneck way of referring to a lady's chest. I also find your willingness to discuss personal problems and the kindness and sympathy shown in those discussions to be touching. Much like my many bikes, I would have to say CycleChat has been good to me.
It works the other way too. I used to have a scrapbooking/cardmaking business and imported everything from the US. I sold stickers/printed papers etc often themed, esp to suit photos of family holidays/vacations etc. I used to have to scour the collections very carefully (squinting at thumbnails of a 12x6" sticker sheet) to make sure I didn't buy the stickers with "spunky girl" on, usually with a picture of a primary school age girl with ribbons in her hair, butterflies, flowers, toys etc Far worse than your take on hooters. I had to avoid vacation, holidays, Mommy, thanksgiving, 4th July, grade school etc etc etc sorry about thread drift.....:rolleyes:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd forgotten that other slang definition of 'hooters'
I was watching a TV programme last night and a couple had been to 'Hooters', a restaurant franchise. The company logo was an owl with the capital Os being the owl's eyes, but they were fairly obviously supposed to represent large breasts!

Ah, yes - Wikipedia article...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It works the other way too. I used to have a scrapbooking/cardmaking business and imported everything from the US. I sold stickers/printed papers etc often themed, esp to suit photos of family holidays/vacations etc. I used to have to scour the collections very carefully (squinting at thumbnails of a 12x6" sticker sheet) to make sure I didn't buy the stickers with "spunky girl" on, usually with a picture of a primary school age girl with ribbons in her hair, butterflies, flowers, toys etc Far worse than your take on hooters. I had to avoid vacation, holidays, Mommy, thanksgiving, 4th July, grade school etc etc etc sorry about thread drift.....:rolleyes:

I've been described as a 'spunky girl' before.

I think they meant I was a bit brave, or something. :shy:

I was watching a TV programme last night and a couple had been to 'Hooters', a restaurant franchise. The company logo was an owl with the capital Os being the owl's eyes, but they were fairly obviously supposed to represent large breasts!

Ah, yes - Wikipedia article...

I love the way you finish your paragraph with
"supposed to represent large breasts !"

- I reckon you could have gone for a double flourish with two !! exclamation marks there !!

What a hoot !! :smile:

Owls can be troublesome round our way twoo - they do make a proper racket :rolleyes:

12boy

Guru
The Hooters chain is not doing well any more, too tame and food is mediocre. Their main dish seemed to me chicken wings and their waitresses all wore tight t-shirts and very short shorts. I've gone there a few times with other managers at national management meetings and wasn't impressed by the wings. I felt kinda embarrassed watching middle men posturing and speaking disrespectfully to young women their daughters age, so I begged off of these when I could. Don't consider my self a prude, but those ladies are trying to make a living and have to put up with these clowns and pretend to like it. 'Nuff of this rant.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Hooters chain is not doing well any more, too tame and food is mediocre. Their main dish seemed to me chicken wings and their waitresses all wore tight t-shirts and very short shorts. I've gone there a few times with other managers at national management meetings and wasn't impressed by the wings. I felt kinda embarrassed watching middle men posturing and speaking disrespectfully to young women their daughters age, so I begged off of these when I could. Don't consider my self a prude, but those ladies are trying to make a living and have to put up with these clowns and pretend to like it. 'Nuff of this rant.
Aaargh - I have just remembered watching a truly awful episode of 'Undercover Boss' featuring Hooters about 10 years ago. It is on YouTube. I watched a minute of it just now and can't believe how bad it was. The USP of the business is crass enough, but in that particular episode the featured manager was a complete scumbag who should have been fired on the spot! :cursing:

Anyway, back to CycleChat ... I am looking forward to meeting more CC members in 2020!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Come now @12boy

This is the kind of talk that will see you sat on the naughty step, for being overly 'woke' or somesuch.

It's clearly every young woman's dream to be making mediocre money, serving mediocre food, to mediocre people, all the while having their bodies objectified by saddos with juvenile minds.

I mean. - sticky chicken wings, and big bazoomas for your delectation - what's not to love :becool:??

That's the other thing CC has encouraged me to do more of.. Topless cycling !!

:bicycle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Aaargh - I have just remembered watching a truly awful episode of 'Undercover Boss' featuring Hooters about 10 years ago. It is on YouTube. I watched a minute of it just now and can't believe how bad it was. The USP of the business is crass enough, but in that particular episode the featured manager was a complete scumbag who should have been fired on the spot! :cursing:

Anyway, back to CycleChat ... I am looking forward to meeting more CC members in 2020!

Twin Peaks is a similar American chain.

They stress the 'fun and friendly' nature of their offer which seems to be based on a loggers' lodge, albeit one with wall-to-wall televised sport.

An interior picture suggests you need to be under 30 to be a customer, although you can be brown or black as well as white.

A couple of women at the bar suggests it's bordering on the inclusive.

Themed restaurants have never done well in the UK, so perhaps it's an American thing.

https://twinpeaksrestaurant.com/

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Twin Peaks is a similar American chain.

They stress the 'fun and friendly' nature of their offer which seems to be based on a loggers' lodge, albeit one with wall-to-wall televised sport.

An interior picture suggests you need to be under 30 to be a customer, although you can be brown or black as well as white.

A couple of women at the bar suggests it's bordering on the inclusive.

Themed restaurants have never done well in the UK, so perhaps it's an American thing.

https://twinpeaksrestaurant.com/

Using breasts to sell irrelevant things, isn't the preserve of our American brethren, ime.

But maybe the British eating public, have at least a modicum more taste ??

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Themed restaurants have never done well in the UK
Pizza Express, Ask, Zizzi - the theme is "food vaguely like what you can get in Italy"

Nandos - the theme is "chicken"

Wetherspoons - the theme is "you can get drunk with your breakfast"

Most curry houses and Chinese restaurants - the theme is "are you kidding? Of course we don't eat this shoot at home."

Top Bottom