What have you bought for the bike but never used?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suspect we've all bought something which seemed like a good idea at the time, but somehow never got used.

My contribution is my cheap hydration pack, purchased after running out of water on one of the few hot days last year.

I tried it on dry in the kitchen, but somehow never got around to deploying it in earnest.

Might not be a total waste of money, as I may use it this summer.

What bike accessory have you got lying unused?

An odometer,2 Shcwalbe tyres and a rear brake lever and caliper.
Someone told me it was great idea to check your speed and mileage,but after buying it I realised I didn't want to be hurtling around trails flicking my eyes at the bars every 5 seconds.
The Nobby Nics were going for £30,but I would never put them on my bike.Pure impulse.
I had mix and match brakes,so I bought the better quality of the two,and then decided I needed better brakes,so ditched the two of them.
eBay for me soon

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My last two frame pumps... the new one's only a month old and hasn't been touched since strapping it to the frame. Previous one was only ever used by a cycling buddy, but not myself. That was purchased about five years ago after discovering that the pump i had was utter sh!te, 15 miles out of town. Haven't had a puncture or needed extra air since whilst out on the road. My track pump on the other hand, gets plenty of use.

Sharky

Guru
Bought my self some weights when I was about 20 and for a few winters used them, then decided to buy a weight lifting bench to go with it. When it arrived, it seemed so big, that I could not think where I was going to use it, so I didn't unpack it and eventually it got moved to the loft, unopened, where it is now - 40+ years later!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There must be somebody on the forum honest enough to own up to 'the bike itself'! :laugh:

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've got a crank puller on the shelf that I was going to use to swap over a crankset on my MTB. However, when I went to use it, I found the threads had been totally stripped some time previously. Could have loosened the crank bolt and ridden 'til it fell off but in the end I decided to keep the chainset for now, so the crank puller is sitting on the shelf for now.

My poor chain cleaner is also set for a life on the shelf since I discovered the mickle method... but at least got used once or twice first.

I'll be happy if I never use this
bivvy1.jpg

Top Bottom