What have you bought for the bike but never used?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've had a pair of interrupter levers since about 2010, for a handlebar size I didn't have. I think they would fit one bike that arrived at the shed over a year ago but it's getting the owner's agreement and getting around to fitting them, you know? There's always something else more important to fettle.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
A very incomplete, very mixed, Shimano 600 groupset that I said I'd complete and attach to a nice steel frame that I don't have and probably never will.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My last two frame pumps... the new one's only a month old and hasn't been touched since strapping it to the frame. Previous one was only ever used by a cycling buddy, but not myself. That was purchased about five years ago after discovering that the pump i had was utter sh!te, 15 miles out of town. Haven't had a puncture or needed extra air since whilst out on the road. My track pump on the other hand, gets plenty of use.
Ditto, you can bet if I ever leave it at home I'll get a 'visit' though. :rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was given a cycle alarm as a present. It's described as giving out an ear piercing shriek to deter theft. More like a budgie's shrill. I never used it after i heard this sound.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVrZ7P4QfcE&list=PLE3E602848B9ACBB4

U

User33236

I bought some GP4000 tyres that were never fitted. They were used by MrsSG though during a puncture repair party she held last weekend.

MrsSG and several of her mates have entered Bolton Ironman this year so, whilst I was away for the weekend, she organised her mates removing and refitting tyres as practice for puncture repair, followed by wine and party food of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Stan's tubeless conversion kit

Several chainrings (although I recently got around to using the 41T chainring I once bought- no idea why I wanted it in the first place, might have been a cyclocross thing- turns out that 41x16 is a good gear)

Several stems- I went though a worrying overmuch about bike setup phase.

A bar-top lever for the commute bike.

I suspect we've all bought something which seemed like a good idea at the time, but somehow never got used.

My contribution is my cheap hydration pack, purchased after running out of water on one of the few hot days last year.

I tried it on dry in the kitchen, but somehow never got around to deploying it in earnest.

Might not be a total waste of money, as I may use it this summer.

What bike accessory have you got lying unused?
I did the same but I bought it out of Aldi (or Lidl) so it wasn't too costly. Can't think of anything else I've not used a few times. I have bought a campag freehub when I meant to order a shimano one :shy:

Oh and I never used my brakes once but that's another story :B)

Top Bottom