What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Bought a whole bike today, picked it up off Gumtree for bugger all, needs a clean, some oil, back wheel truing and then it’s back up for sale.

View attachment 500159
Why sell it?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
2 sets of disc brake pads for the Spa. As I'd taken the wheels off for cleaning, I decided to have a quick check of the pads - both front & rear were worn down almost level with the retaining spring!

a Cyckit Aeroclam (P2 version)

Last edited:
Surly nice v2 high loader rack not in stock but would get it from supplier. Winstanley were the cheapest at £100 so accepted the delays. Now in the post. Will be able to ride both bikes with full size panniers front and back. Also deal with the problem of riding with ice spikers in winter when unnecessary. I found studs start to go through tyres eventually so should get another year or two out of them.
From sjs
So for the other bike Schwalbe marathon plus mtb tyres (26 x 2.25) £51.98 the pair will hopefully be okay in the mud and off road in general. A few less punctures would be nice.

Schwalbe black Jack 16 tyres for one of the trailers 11.98 the pair......the trailer came with nylon tyres and hell do they puncture. Not high on puncture protection (black jacks) but will line the tyres by gluing some inner tubes inside the tyre as an experiment?

500ml of tubeless tyre sealent £8.99. Again an experiment as I keep seeing YouTube videos saying it works well in tubes. Slime is far from great. Bought loads of ALDI puncture protected tubes (white slime?) £1.99......not very good puncture protection but nice thick tubes so not entirely a rip off.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Some replacement water bottle cages. The current ones don’t clamp the bottle well enough when mounted horizontal. The odd lost bottle. New ones have carbon fibre in them and much firmer clamping action. So hopefully no more picking bottles up out of the road or verge.

One thing with using utility bikes is that you don't need cycle luggage, but now I'm using a "normal" bike, especially because I'm likely to need to travel by rail/bike more often I realised my small and elderly pannier wasn't going to be anything like adequate.

After much advice from various people here (Thanks again, BTW), I took a deep breath and got these:

Ortlieb_bags_02.JPG

I must however confess that I've already broken the rules by using only one pannier while riding...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’ve signed up for Audaxes too and, as I have a tendency to over-prepare, I have ordered a huge bikepacking saddlebag and a frame bag. The frame bag will get used a lot though for holding my first aid kit when doing Go Ride social rides with families.

sounds like far too much capacity for audax but sure you’ll work out what you need over time.

One thing with using utility bikes is that you don't need cycle luggage, but now I'm using a "normal" bike, especially because I'm likely to need to travel by rail/bike more often I realised my small and elderly pannier wasn't going to be anything like adequate.

After much advice from various people here (Thanks again, BTW), I took a deep breath and got these:

View attachment 500280

I must however confess that I've already broken the rules by using only one pannier while riding...
Ortileb Load of shite. You should have bought Carradice super C black cotton duck panniers, everything else is worthless in comparison. And they are British to boot. Don't you care about food miles? well buying foreign panniers is no different. You clearly are global warming denier.
Of course my latter remarks could be construed as over the top!!!! Apart from Carradice being better than ortileb that's undeniable.

Ortileb Load of shite. You should have bought Carradice super C black cotton duck panniers, everything else is worthless in comparison. And they are British to boot. Don't you care about food miles? well buying foreign panniers is no different. You clearly are global warming denier.
Of course my latter remarks could be construed as over the top!!!! Apart from Carradice being better than ortileb that's undeniable.
He's in Germany. Ortlieb are German...

Top Bottom