What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why not? They're not travelling. Food miles, you said...

They will be soon...

Today's test ride went pretty well.

"Ortlieb" literally translated means "Place" (Ort) and "Love" (Lieb). This information is entirely irrelevant to the thread, I just mention it in passing.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
sounds like far too much capacity for audax but sure you’ll work out what you need over time.
Probably :laugh:. I was thinking longer term and maybe taking my kids for a night away in the tent. Plus I always struggle to carry my rain jacket comfortably without resorting to a rucksack. And I am always hungry so I carry the odd snack or two (or three or four). The bag I've ordered does roll down to reduce empty space. I didn't want to buy several different bags.

Probably :laugh:. I was thinking longer term and maybe taking my kids for a night away in the tent. Plus I always struggle to carry my rain jacket comfortably without resorting to a rucksack. And I am always hungry so I carry the odd snack or two (or three or four). The bag I've ordered does roll down to reduce empty space. I didn't want to buy several different bags.

I was thinking similar when I bought the Ortliebs: temperatures vary quite dramatically from early morning to midday here so it is good to have extra space for a fairly thick coat.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My other thought was if I join an audax earlier than my first planned event, I may need to take an extra base layer or something depending on the weather.

This time of year us easy, you put your layers on and that’s that. Spring and autumn have greater variance of temp. But you don’t need bulky layers for audax. Carry an emergency silver bag or blanket in case you get stranded middle of nowhere. Compact and warm.

steven1988

Veteran

Odd snack??? I only know one person who carries more than you, and we know how much that is.

One thing with using utility bikes is that you don't need cycle luggage, but now I'm using a "normal" bike, especially because I'm likely to need to travel by rail/bike more often I realised my small and elderly pannier wasn't going to be anything like adequate.

After much advice from various people here (Thanks again, BTW), I took a deep breath and got these:

View attachment 500280

I must however confess that I've already broken the rules by using only one pannier while riding...
Cycle luggage? that's not cycle luggage, this is cycle luggage

IMG_20200101_141600_3.jpg

Last edited:
I think the other carradice super c shopper isn't on there but I can assure you I always travel with both on. Front ones are 20 year plus Carradice super c rear panniers......as a forager you should always be prepared. I have a wide definition of foraging. I foraged salmon in Herefordshire.....from my daughters fridge. She says that's not foraging. Matter of opinion.

If you're going to start a "I carry more luggage than you" competition, I'll go and find some pictures of my Bakfiets fully loaded...
Wow just looked up Bakfiet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Electric-B...VqvXDLQwudLtWyphHFqsYMPMWhKbZYqxoCzJEQAvD_BwE

That's looks like some cargo capacity.
Is it power assist and have you tried it off road?

I spent £375 replacing the battery on kalkhoff, which I bought entirely for transporting the dog. I decided I wanted my money back. So initially I used the dog trailer to fetch wood but as mainly off road it didn't look like it would do the dog trailer any good. So bought something very similar to this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-...ailer-65-kg-/312888023209?hash=item48d99458a9

It came with the same attachment as the dog trailer but the attachment on the arm of trailer was utter crap. I immediately demanded my money back and the seller pay for the return. The seller agreed to a full refund (eventually)and told me to keep the trailer. I ordered a different one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vidaXL-B...nsport-Cart-/372646350605?hash=item56c3740f0d

But I used this first one till I could be arsed to put the second one together. The first one soon collapsed. The second one was much better.....unbelievably one wheels collapsed. Good job I kept the wheels from the first. They actually fitted the axle better. I am now very careful with it, less wood pushing the bike and trailer slowly through woods when loaded. Alas I am getting a bit sick of the electric bike as limits the routes I exercise the dog. So instead of cutting 2 foot logs I cut one foot logs and load them into my far superior Carradice super c. This allows me to do a few different rides before collecting the wood.
Still going to use the trailer but a bit more sparingly. At a guess I have a year and half of firewood now. Free firewood burns better than bought! I think this maybe an unnecessary long post but can't be bothered reducing it. Anyway let's see that bakfiet loaded. Preferably with firewood! Is yours power assist and what size is the battery?

Last edited:
Wow just looked up Bakfiet

That's looks like some cargo capacity.
Is it power assist and have you tried it off road?

No power assist. I prefer it that way as it is easier to maintain.

It can do limited offroad riding: we have gravel roads in places locally and it deals with those well, but it is about 35 kg empty so enthusiasm to charge up hills is minimal...

Last edited:
Top Bottom