What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

A pair of Hunts Aero Wide wheels (alloy) which should be delivered late January :sad:

First significant upgrade for my bike but if I change my drivetrain or frame (or both) I'll still be able to use them :smile: I went for the aero as most of my riding is on the flat, although they are pretty light at 1500g anyway; current set will be well over 2.2kg.

On suggestions from this forum I did look into having some other hand built, especially the H PLus son's, but the Hunt's simply seemed better for what I want, and cost around what I was looking to spend (£379 for the pair)

I did briefly contemplate the idea of going tubeless but I don't think it's for me.

Set of these:

For the Revell.
Cheap, from China, but the Scott has worn a set for years with no issues, so...

GuyBoden

Guru
A pair of wheels for my old 1970's Dawes Galaxy, 130 ONL rear, 100 ONL front.

I still have the original old wide flange hubs, which do look nice, but the rear has a screw-on freewheel cogs that won't come off, I prefer a Casssette. The original weinmann rims are terribly thin single thickness, spokes are well past their sell by date, so I think the wheels did need replacing.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
A pair of wheels for my old 1970's Dawes Galaxy, 130 ONL rear, 100 ONL front.

I still have the original old wide flange hubs, which do look nice, but the rear has a screw-on freewheel cogs that won't come off, I prefer a Casssette. The original weinmann rims are terribly thin single thickness, spokes are well past their sell by date, so I think the wheels did need replacing.
There ain't a screw-on freewheel that won't come off !!
I've just wrestled off a freewheel that's been on an alloy hub since the mid 1960s and been used in all sorts of weathers.
I destroyed the freewheel in the doing of it, but I only wanted the hub - a Milremo hub - Surprisingly in very good condition for its age and amount of use.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A new crank for the Dutchie. I snapped a chainring tooth when shopping and, on inspection, several teeth haven't much thickness of metal left after nine years of riding through crap all year round. I expected them to go shark's fin first!

Nearest suitable Sturmey Archer part I found was in Australia, so a compatible has been ordered from sjs along with some consumables.

GuyBoden

Guru
There ain't a screw-on freewheel that won't come off !!
I've just wrestled off a freewheel that's been on an alloy hub since the mid 1960s and been used in all sorts of weathers.
I destroyed the freewheel in the doing of it, but I only wanted the hub - a Milremo hub - Surprisingly in very good condition for its age and amount of use.

I'm hoping to save my large flange Normandy hubs. How did you get your hub off?

This:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVL1XqZve8

"'Milremo' was Ron Kitching's brand name that was applied to various stuff that he imported from Continental manufacturers. "

Last edited:

Johnsco

Old Fettler
I got the freewheel off pretty-much like in the video above.
First I disassembled the freewheel using a punch and a hammer .... Looks difficult but isn't.
This left the central part screwed on to the wheel, which I gave a good overnight soaking in penetrating oil.
I then secured the wheel rim using two G clamps and blocks of wood on the bench.
I then got hold of the freewheel centre with a very large stilsons wrench .... not the more-usual smaller set ..... Just like the guy in the video.
Turn anti-clockwise ............... BANG ! ............. Off it came.

And also some Shimano St-EF60 3x8 shifters from Bankruptbikeparts. See, I didn't think for a minute I'd need these, and sent similar to @Reynard for her build. Oh well, new shiny!

Classic application of the Law of Sod... :laugh:

Never mind, the ones you sent have a very good home here. :smile: And you get the brand harry spankers ones ^_^

Sounds like you're doing to the Revell what I've almost finished doing to the Raleigh. :okay:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Spa Nidd saddle ( Brooks B17 lookalike) arrived, fitted and tested over 40 miles.

I had given up waiting for a bargain lightly used B17 and went for the new, £48 Spa.

When I jumped on the bike it felt like sitting on a block of concrete, after 2 miles I had forgotten about it. Now, post ride, I have no tightness, tenderness or aches.

Happy customer!

Top Bottom