What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
More bits for the hillclimb build on a budget:

- FSA SL-K carbon crankset. We only need the cranks, not the chainrings.
- Lightweight gear cables (inner/outer)

Still need a rear derailleur and seatpost. Potentially a Dura Ace RH shifter and broken LH one just for the brake. Wheels will come from the stock we have, as will the saddle.

Attachments

• BBA01XX_OLN_Product_H119_03.jpeg
    BBA01XX_OLN_Product_H119_03.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 3

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I didn't actually buy any bits this weekend, as someone kindly dumped a dead Apollo CX10 hybrid and a battered 25" size Raleigh 18-23 road frame with a few odd bits on it for me to pick the bones of.
For such a cheap bike, I actually rate the wheels fitted to the CX10, as I've had my Pioneer Trail hybrid running on a pair from a 99p donor for nearly two years now. So, when the freebie CX10 appeared, I had no hesitation in whipping the wheels off it, as they ran true enough and were identical to those I'm already using. While I was at it I also helped myself to the Apollo saddle, rear mech, fork, headset, and flat bars. The Raleigh supplied me with a pair of Weinmann 500 brake mechs & suicide levers, an alloy bottle cage, an alloy drop bar & stem, and a hi-tensile fork & headset. Both donors came apart very easily, much to my surprise considering the neglected state of them.^_^

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
After 13 years I finally bought a new track pump. I wasn't sure I was getting enough pressure into my air tank. As for the first time I had trouble seating a tubeless tyre. Gave up in the end and took it to a lbs in the end. They gave up too. Then I had a eureka moment and decided to buy another brand of tyre. The new tyre seated first time :laugh:

I had the same problem with my tubeless tank inflater.

It has a pressure gauge, so I could tell my old track pump was only putting about 70psi in it when 100psi is required to do the job.

The new track pump, a budget Giant branded one, does the job easily, and would probably get the tank close to its 140psi limit.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
also 4 new tyres, 2 chains, and new butterfly bar foam from Spa Cycles. This delivery arrived this morning, but they have sent the wrong size tyres! Their initial response is that I have to go to the post office, and pay myself to send them back and they will send the right ones "when they can". From what I have always considered a decent bike shop this is completely unacceptable - so I am waiting for a better response - incidentally I can buy the tyres cheaper elsewhere!

Regrettably this level of service happens regularly, but probably not often, with Spa.

RobinS

Veteran
The Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tours have gone back, waiting for the 700c x 40 size to arrive (instead of the skinny 35s they sent first). Have also ordered from elsewhere a nice new Charge Spoon saddle, in "leather look" brown, to replace my worn out black one. Will also need some guidance soon on some matching leather look bar tape!
New SKS mudguards fitted to JanetS' bike to replace the slightly smaller ones, one of which she smashed up last season - fitting takes a lot of patience where they have to fit around racks and disc brakes!

GuyBoden

Guru
Fitted a chain tensioner to my wife's bike.

I got an extra strong motorbike one and prefabricated it to fit for £6.
(Carefully, fold the steel lugs around using a vice until the four holes line up. Then it can be bolted onto the chain stay and wheel dropout.)

arge?cache_buster=f0fc93eb7ab32164d088bec7411e5171.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Okay this might get the vote for the weirdest entry - a table vice! Trying to get a freewheel off and no way will it budge with a spanner on the removal tool and so tried in it the existing vice turning the wheel only to discover the vice although locked rotates through the torque applied by the wheel:cursing: So order placed with Tool Station who are claiming a delivery tomorrow.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've been meaning to look at Ti bolts for a while, so with having little to do at the mo, I got browsing. I've just ordered 14 bolts & 4 washers to fit out 2 Ti bikes I have, not cheap, but I've saved at least the same amount by not being able to go to the local for last two weeks :blush:

Top Bottom