What have you bought that has been a total waste of money?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Many years ago I went into the men’s dept of the local Co op at Newton Heath Manchester, I needed some new undies , in those days things were on shelves or in cabinets , the lady asked what size , without thinking I told her my chest size rather than my waist , so I went home with two pairs of 46” undies , instead of 32” !! I was way to embarrassed to take them back

Brand new BMW 325i convertible in 1997. I made the mistake of not test driving one first, I knew as soon as I drove it off the forecourt I hated it. I kept it for two months and sold it, lost a bit of money but hey ho.
I did that with a 2002 BMW 3 series coupe, wasn't new though it was 3 years old.

Looked great in Topaz blue metallic with 18' M Sport alloys, but sitting inside the damned thing made me wanna slit my wrists, what a tuetonically miserable place it is to sit inside a BMW.

Had it on finance too so couldn't do anything for about 3 months, (can't remember why exactly), but the day I could it was swapped immediately.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Every single thing from Planet X.
I was going to say Decathlon also but I got a great training mat from there.
I tend to agree with the PlanetX bit. The only reason I returned, as a customer, was because I wanted a pair of their overshoes, and the useless crab mitts were part of the bundle.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
You just beat me to it ^_^. In 1968 I paid 7 shillings & sixpence. After 50+ years I am just breaking even.
(Just incase Mrs D reads this....its a joke:rolleyes:).

Guess where your going to find your passport next Dave, you'd better hope it's not out of reach.^_^

On topic, one thing I consider a waste of money is extended warranties. I think I have only ever bought one for my John Lewis washing machine. 6 days before it expired I had to use it as the machine flooded the kitchen. I was glad I bought that one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On topic, one thing I consider a waste of money is extended warranties. I think I have only ever bought one for my John Lewis washing machine. 6 days before it expired I had to use it as the machine flooded the kitchen. I was glad I bought that one.
Whereas, my machine's 5 year extended warranty ran out and 2 weeks later the machine went *POP*! I wasn't happy with that one...

I had a much better 'extended warranty' with Iyama... The ordinary warranty had expired several months before my computer monitor broke but the woman I spoke to at their UK HQ let me return it for a free repair by doing a 'virtual' extension!

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I meant Imp of course. Sorry for misspelling. :blush:
Dang that predictive text.. :tongue:

Someone I know had to chuck away a packet of condoms because they were 7 years beyond their 'Use by' date! :whistle:
:smile:

truly sad - I did once have an encounter with someone who had some that were up against the date (can't remember which side) - I was too tactful to ask what all that was about.

edit - I'm sure the creative types on here can think of something those past-date items could have been used for in the more innocent cycling world. By the by, I gather WW2 aircrews used to use them to muffle wind noise on in-flight mikes. (sound devices)

I think I have two.
Must get around to offering them for free.
These days I use 1 litre plastic milk bottles and a lot of shaking.

Top Bottom