What have you broken today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
An ASDA value car sponge (hear me out!)

The rear hydro hose on my Planet X was making a bit of a racket so I took the crankset off, BB out and the guide screw on the rearstay to give me more slack hose. I cut the sponge up into neat strips and through the BB shell, packed out the seat-tube, rearstays and downtube.

Then reassembled the bike.. I'm hoping it works, a quick test suggests a positive result #topbodge

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Ouch! I hope it isn't broken.

Seems all good cheers just swelling & bruising.

Archeress

Veteran
Went out on a novice level ride with my cycle club today. Took the mountain bike as I knew some of the paths wouldn't be suitable for my road bike. After a nice coffee stop at Snuff Mills we were climbing a small hill when there was an almighty crunch from the back end. Everything stopped very quickly and I managed to unclip from the pedals before falling over. I looked at the back of the bike and the derailleur hanger had snapped in two, the derailleur was deep in the spokes of my rear wheel and the chain had snapped leaving bits of chain all over the road. Thanks to my fellow club members the remains of the chain was fettled and I rode the remaining 6 miles home single speed. Wheel is OK but the derailleur is a bit bent, the chain although only having done 240 miles is shot and I need a new hanger. The bill.... £68 if I do the work myself.

Archeress x

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Went out on a novice level ride with my cycle club today. Took the mountain bike as I knew some of the paths wouldn't be suitable for my road bike. After a nice coffee stop at Snuff Mills we were climbing a small hill when there was an almighty crunch from the back end. Everything stopped very quickly and I managed to unclip from the pedals before falling over. I looked at the back of the bike and the derailleur hanger had snapped in two, the derailleur was deep in the spokes of my rear wheel and the chain had snapped leaving bits of chain all over the road. Thanks to my fellow club members the remains of the chain was fettled and I rode the remaining 6 miles home single speed. Wheel is OK but the derailleur is a bit bent, the chain although only having done 240 miles is shot and I need a new hanger. The bill.... £68 if I do the work myself.

Archeress x
I'm glad that you weren't hurt and that the damage was not even more expensive!

I suggest that you take a VERY close look at the spokes on that wheel though. A mate of mine had a very similar problem on his road bike. After that he was offered a very good deal on a pair of expensive wheels, which he part-funded with the money I gave him on the very good deal that he offered me on the wheels involved in his mech-ripping incident. I put the wheels on my bike and headed off on a long forum ride. THIS was the result ... :okay:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Kinked my Birdy front brake cable and outer, bit of a bummer as the cable routing is a bit awkward through the hinged front fork set up.

Archeress

Veteran
I'm glad that you weren't hurt and that the damage was not even more expensive!

I suggest that you take a VERY close look at the spokes on that wheel though. A mate of mine had a very similar problem on his road bike. After that he was offered a very good deal on a pair of expensive wheels, which he part-funded with the money I gave him on the very good deal that he offered me on the wheels involved in his mech-ripping incident. I put the wheels on my bike and headed off on a long forum ride. THIS was the result ... :okay:
Thank you Colin, I will take a look once I have all the other parts and have the bike up on the stand.

Archeress x

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There had been some deep scratches on a couple of spokes. I didn't think they would cause any problems but one spoke broke on a scratch, and to be on the safe side I replaced the other spoke at the same time that I replaced the broken one.

toffee

Guru
My Samsung S4. The screen wouldn't respond to me putting the pin code in.

Could be related to the coffee I split over it a couple of days ago :sad:

Derek

Top Bottom