What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My rear shifting had almost packed up. I could shift between the easiest 3 sprockets but could not shift to the 6 highest gears. It wasn't much of a problem on the 5.5 mile long climb up through Cragg Vale, but I did not want to freewheel on all the downhill sections thereafter.

I got off the bike and discovered that the pivots on the rear mech had almost seized. I hadn't cleaned them well enough when the bike got covered in salty grit before I fitted mudguards to it a couple of weeks ago. I got hold of the derailleur and forced it through its entire range of motion a few times and that freed it. I'll clean and lube it before the next ride.
It seized again - it turned out to be the inside pivots because I had forgotten them and only lubed those on the outside!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Must admit the chain on the fixed had a few stiff links, as I discovered when I removed everything from the broken frame. However, after a good clean and lube it'll have to do on the temporary frame. I'll invest in a new one when the shiny new frame arrives. I might just put the blingy new chainset on then, though that would be the last of the original components from 1983 finally gone (would it then count as a new bike?).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Must admit the chain on the fixed had a few stiff links, as I discovered when I removed everything from the broken frame. However, after a good clean and lube it'll have to do on the temporary frame. I'll invest in a new one when the shiny new frame arrives. I might just put the blingy new chainset on then, though that would be the last of the original components from 1983 finally gone (would it then count as a new bike?).
Triggers Broom. :whistle:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Amazing chain of events this morning. I was looking for a video that explain cup and cone hub servicing when I remembered that I had a hub that perhaps needed servicing. I bought this Dura Ace hub on gumtree for a tenner over a year ago. It was described as "not working properly" I simply bought it for spares as it was the wrong spoke count but I would be building myself a wheel set on Dura Ace hubs one day, incidentally, I should be doing that shortly. So I went looking for this hub, in my mind the hub had a bent axle or similar. The packet had not been opened so for all I know I could have had a dead cat in there :smile: the hub felt a little rough so I thought this is a bearings problem. I removed the first set of ball bearings that come in a retainer and examined everything and everyrhing was good, even the original shimano grease it seemed. I was praying to find something wrong wih the other side bearings only..... so the first 4 loose ball bearings were fine but then I found one that had a lot of pitting and then two more. Cone and cup were fine. Did the old ball pen test and all good. So digging inside the spare parts box a found 3 new sets of ball bearings..... replaced the bearings put the hub back together and I now have a Dura Ace hub that looks and feels like new :smile: - there is my next rear touring wheel I guess :smile: it always pays to have spare ball bearings :laugh:

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
pedal_zps1fe09m2i.jpg
Fitted the toe straps to both of my bikes today and planning to go and test the straps on my road bike shortly! Another thing to get used to as I spent ages getting used to toe clips without straps, now ready for the next step!

Attachments

• pedal_zps1fe09m2i.jpg
    pedal_zps1fe09m2i.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 27

Nytsom

Put new grips on the old Orange C16R that I've converted in to a hybrid bike for the wife; she mad me a nice (large) mug of coffee while I did the wee job. then re-adjusted the front mech on the Giant OCR 3. time for a nice mug of tea now! Too cold for me to go for a ride today..

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Happened to be in Evans at Chill Factore on Sunday (been playing at indoor sky diving again) and grabbed some Hoy bar tape in black (of course). The Clarkes Carbon effect stuff wasn't much good, the finish had pealed off in 6 months, despite the previous Cinelli Carbon effect having lasted years of daily commute.

Very impressed with the Cork tape, and to top it off it comes up with some nice laser etched alloy bar ends, with allan key expander bolt.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Converted my 2x10 sram xo to 1x10 narrow wide with slx clutch mec and shifter off the HT bike
the new 38,24 front spider I got last year has 104 bcd so I can have superstar narrow wide fitted and bash.
only noticed yesterday when considering a big spend..glad im a nosey bugger or id have wasted a lot of cash for nothing.
the oe 42,28 spider is 120bcd pita and bloody expensive for Everything.
my HT is now xo 1x10 with a chain guide, so all good in the tinkering stakes today.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I've replaced the chain and cassette on my Boardman after nearly 5000 miles, and the gear shifting is much better. Presumably the side flex in the old chain was preventing completely clean shifts on the cassette.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've replaced the chain and cassette on my Boardman after nearly 5000 miles, and the gear shifting is much better. Presumably the side flex in the old chain was preventing completely clean shifts on the cassette.
I have noticed a similar thing in the past.

My winter tip for the day ... If you are having the same problem as me in cold conditions with your bike lube getting too viscous to apply easily, place the container in very warm water for a while before use. I was surprised how much easier it was to do my chain with warm lube.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I've been spending my evenings building a new wheel set. Ambitious, but I had nothing to lose. The rims on the old wheels both had nasty dinks on them, not my doing, but the spokes and hubs were of a good enough quality, that I wouldn't want them to go to waste. So after a good few hours surfing the net looking at wheel sets, and realising that I couldn't afford anything of equal quality, I started looking at rims. I found a pair of Exal LX17 rims, which seemed to have reasonable write ups, and also described as 'forgiving' for the novice, for a little over £20. So I dismantled the old wheels over last weekend and have spent the last couple of evenings re building onto the new rims. After a few false starts, trying to get the lacing and spacing right, I fitted the new builds last night and took them for a ride today. First impressions.....NICE !. Well worth the effort. The most difficult part of the process was getting the wheel round. I've got it to within a couple of mm on both of them. Getting them straight was easier, as well the dishing. I used my rim brake settings to adjust them to run straight and central, but keeping them round meant a little more ingenuity. I ended up stretching a loop of fishing line across the stays/forks, and moving it back and forth as required. If todays outing is anything to judge by, then I have a lightish, strongish, quality set of wheels that will do me for many miles. Plus I got a bit of an ego boost knowing that I had managed to complete a task that I had never tried before. Chuffed ^_^

Top Bottom