What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Do you get the chance to ride a bike? You're always fettling!!

Oh yes :okay:

Winter commuting hasn't done some of the bikes any favours. I've also built some and re-built several others in this past year. Only one more re-build to go before the spring.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Replaced the bearings in my rear R501 and replaced the cassette on my Secteur. I was about to replace the chain but noticed there was wear on the middle chainring so ordered a new one from CRC.
So I will be commuting on the Cannondale this week.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Something very frightening had been happening on recent rides on my Basso which seems to have been due to a troublesome rear hub so I gave it a good fettling this afternoon.

I did 2 rides on the bike on heavily gritted roads at the start of January during which it got covered in salty grit. After that I fitted some new Crud Roadracer mudguards to try to keep the bike (and myself!) a lot cleaner.

I have just fettled the hub and it is clear that I did not clean the bike well enough after those rides because I discovered that the cassette and hub were starting to corrode from the salt. There was a lot of friction in the hub and some gunk around the pawls. The QR had almost seized inside the axle.

A neglected hub and cassette ...
Mavic Aksium hub in need of TLC.jpg

It all feels a hell of a lot better now. The rear wheel spins much more freely and there is no hint of the wheel driving the chain round when freewheeling, which it was previously starting to do - a sure sign that the hub needed attention!

Post-fettling ...
Mavic Aksium hub and Campagnolo cassette fettled.jpg

I'll do a test ride in the next few days and will soon find out if the 'squeal of death' has been fixed! I was getting it every 4 or 5 miles on the last couple of rides.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Something very frightening had been happening on recent rides on my Basso which seems to have been due to a troublesome rear hub so I gave it a good fettling this afternoon.

I did 2 rides on the bike on heavily gritted roads at the start of January during which it got covered in salty grit. After that I fitted some new Crud Roadracer mudguards to try to keep the bike (and myself!) a lot cleaner.

I have just fettled the hub and it is clear that I did not clean the bike well enough after those rides because I discovered that the cassette and hub were starting to corrode from the salt. There was a lot of friction in the hub and some gunk around the pawls. The QR had almost seized inside the axle.

A neglected hub and cassette ...
View attachment 80588
It all feels a hell of a lot better now. The rear wheel spins much more freely and there is no hint of the wheel driving the chain round when freewheeling, which it was previously starting to do - a sure sign that the hub needed attention!

Post-fettling ...
View attachment 80589

I'll do a test ride in the next few days and will soon find out if the 'squeal of death' has been fixed! I was getting it every 4 or 5 miles on the last couple of rides.
Do clean those spokes, they're disgusting.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
After all previous attempts at carrying/ mounting my camera, I managed to create a bracket to fit my mini MD80 camera to my bars. Then forgot to pick up the camera up for my daily commute, so still don't know wether the bracket will mount the camera giving an adequate view. Bah !
P.S. It was bloomin cold in the extremities here today, and I didn't dress for it. I'm sure my ear lobes had icicles on them.
:cold:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Vinegar worked well on brake component rust and corrosion. Parts are all clean now, and awaiting reinstallation inside, as I'm getting some more snow and cold weather outside. Things are improving here, now regularly getting in the 20's Fahrenheit, maybe 30's next week.

ColinJ

It has fixed the problem! I did a very hilly 100 km ride yesterday and the bike was great. My poor old body wasn't so good, but that's another story ... :whistle:

I'll take the hub to bits to clean and lube it a couple of times a year in future.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Replaced the gear cables and outers on the MTB. This has been outstandingly successful and has improved the shifting 200%

It has always felt really stiff on shifting even when new, and was a real bugger to get indexed. Now the shifters are as light as I always thought they should be and indexing was spot-on straight away :biggrin:

ColinJ

Replaced the gear cables and outers on the MTB. This has been outstandingly successful and has improved the shifting 200%

It has always felt really stiff on shifting even when new, and was a real bugger to get indexed. Now the shifters are as light as I always thought they should be and indexing was spot-on straight away :biggrin:
Sorting out my Basso's brake cables might be my next fettling task. The rear brake has had too much friction in the cabling since I flipped the stem (the cable was really a bit too short but I just about got away with it). It has got worse recently though, and the brake now only half releases so it is time to tackle the problem.

I might wait another month and do it once this winter is over and the roads are grit-free again. My new Crud Roadracers are keeping 95% of the salty crap off the bike, but some inevitably gets where it shouldn't.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Fitted stem, bars and brifters. Also installed Tektro rear brake off the old bike and new 105 front which came with too short a sleeve nut. I had another which was too long and had to cut it down. Then for the umpteenth time in my life I cut the front outer too short and had to use the one intended for the rear instead.

LBS tomorrow, by which time the 105 chainset, BB and rear mech should be here.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Serviced and set up my fox rear shock as it was way over due..lovely now.
fitted a 40t expander to the fs yesterday..as 1x10 is hard work so a little bit more at the back for them up bits

Top Bottom