What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The front derailleur's been playing up on the Secteur for months, certainly at least 6 months. It'll sometimes work and sometimes stick - requiring me to unclip and kick it. That doesn't work well, particularly on a fast club run :wacko: , so I too the opportunity to:
  • Fit a new Ultegra 6700 front derailleur.
  • Fit a new Ultegra 6700 chain
  • Index the rear derailleur.
Basic prep for a 200k audax on the 16th done which was needed since I haven't ridden this bike since November.

Also the Raleigh Team has been put into use with the bad weather we're having. The rear wheel needed trueing so that got done and a general check-over, lube and grease. All good. I forget how good the bike is, ride it and then think again about whether it should be sold. However, needs must so it'll be on sale later this month.

I've cheated with the Ridgeback Platinum commuter; it needs the headset doing after the winter so that's gone to the LBS. When it comes back it's being treated to an upgrade; Dura-Ace 7800 crankset, front & rear derailleurs, new Pearson bars, Ultegra 6700 shifters, Ultegra cassette. The aim is to turn it into a long-distance audax bike for the 400 and 600km PBP qualifiers (it'll still have to cope with commuting though!).

Also fitted some new jockey wheels to an old Shimano 600 derailleur plus cleaned the Shimano 5700 front derailleur I removed earlier.
They are seductive little beggers those old Raleighs, even the derided 18-23 tube ones. They just feel so 'right' on the road, My (super) Equipe (the red and white one) rides lovely.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Converted back to 2x10 and fitted MK 2.2 on the rear and a 2.1 maxxis advantage on the front , went for a 25mile ride...lovely, big tyres and 1x10 for xc..........nah

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Did a bit of cleaning up and minor adjustments on the fixed gear and the ladies bike, tightened my lock ring up on the fixed and removed 98% of the Horrid blue paint that was on my top tube. Quick sand and wipe with WD40 it'll do until summer when I strip and re-spray it. Next on my list is still new handlebars and new brake pads on the front wheel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 39
Given the increasingly clement weather, the lengthening daylight, the snowdrops and the soon to be budding daffs, and since last week my even more partially-retired status, I woke the Defy up from its winter slumbers in its centrally-heated garage. Wash with car shampoo, then Mickle the chain, pump the tyres up, spin everything over, ping the spokes, lube the brake pivots, tweak the cable tensions, set the Cateye wireless to 700c, change the batteries in the Etrex, followed by a couple of hundred yards around the 'Close, and we are ready to go. Pity the bike 'bent winter hack is looking a bit left out.

Hey ho, 1 day a week at work eh? Now, where to go tomorrow? Wind is brisk W, so that looks like a N or S cafe run then.

Diggs

Veteran
My shoes! With GT-85. No longer squeak round the new office, so I guess they'll just know me as 'guy with clicky ankle'. Doubt if GT85 will work on that.

si_c

Guru
Replaced middle chain ring as it's become so worn it's started slipping. Had to take the crank off as it was so greasy the chainring had stuck. Must clean bike more often.

I cut the fork steerer down so it no longer pokes me in the face when I am riding. I also fitted a new cassette, which has made everything a lot smoother. Didn't realise the old one was so knackered. I cleaned up a set of wheels I had sold and removed the cassette from them. Gave everything a good clean and then went for a pleasant eveing ride.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday's fettle as it's gone midnight... Headset bearings removed from the Marin so I could clean them up and measure them to track down a new set.

MisterStan

Label Required
Early morning fettling session for me; got to @martinclive's place early so I could swap a cassette for him as he was fitting shiny new wheels. Somehow managed to nick my thumb doing this, probably on those sharp aero spokes he got! He did make me a cup of coffee (waiting for me when I got there!) and also gave me a plaster. :blush:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
New brake pads and jockey wheels fitted to the hybrid.
Pedal extender fitted to the road bike. Now experimenting with cleat positions.

Top Bottom