What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I fitted a triple to my Cannondale CAAD5 last year. I was surprised (but very pleased!) to be able to get it to work with the old ergopower shifters and derailleurs.

I have done about 4,000 miles with that setup and it has performed well, but eventually I wore out the chain and cassette, which I replaced a few days ago and have discussed above.

Yesterday's ride took me up a very steep climb for which I needed my little chainring but I discovered at the foot of the climb that I could not get the chain to shift down by operating the shifter. The chain was scraping on the inside of the derailleur cage but it would not shift. I got off the bike and adjusted the lower gear endstop but it made no difference so I pushed the chain down by hand and then it worked fine (apart from a lot of noises which will be investigated over the next few days).

The same thing happened on another couple of steep climbs so I resolved to sort the problem out back at home.

I just spent 20 minutes trying to work out what was going on and decided that it worked with the old worn chain because that was more flexible sideways. The chain was bent far enough by the mech to slip past the next tooth coming up and trying to hook it. The new chain is much more rigid and so does not deflect enough to be pushed off the middle ring.

So ... Why wouldn't the mech move over further and do its business? It wasn't an endstop problem because the mech was not even touching the endstop. I could take the screw adjuster out and it made no difference. It wasn't excess cable tension, because I disconnected the cable and still had the same problem ...

I thought about a bodge fix involving either bending the outer plate of the mech or turning it so it was no longer parallel to the chain but both were bodges too far!

Then I had a closer look and spotted what the problem was! Here's a photo illustrating it. Look at where the end of the screwdriver is pointing inside the red ring. There is a small metal tab against which the derailleur spring acts. That tab was jamming against the seat tube when the mech was swung over to shift to the little ring. It wasn't surprising, because that mech was only designed to work with double chainrings and the endstop would normally prevent it moving that far.

Front mech.jpg

Anyway, once I realised what was going on, I took the mech off and filed about 0.5 mm off the tab and that gave the mech enough extra movement to work reliably every time and I think the shifting will improve as the chain loosens up.

Now I need to get rid of the offending noises. They could be due to worn rings and/or bottom bracket. I'll take the chainset off and see how smoothly the BB turns. I think the problem is probably due to worn rings. If so, I'll check to see whether they can be turned or filed, and if not I will replace them.

This is my best bike and I just want to sort out the remaining little problems to get it working perfectly again because I have big plans for it next year! :okay:

WP_20150815_001.jpg
Not bike related in the slightest but I have been fitting out my airing cupboard with shelving and carpet since we took out the condensing system and replaced with a combi. Still need to gloss and paint.

wisdom

Guru
Mrs Wizz's bike has laid unloved for many years in the back of the garage. She dropped a hint that she may have a little ride out with me she stressed the word little.
Great excuse to fettle her old raleigh so here it is.Cleaned, lubed, tyres pumped up and all is well.It weighs a ton but should do the job well enough.
ive posted a pic of the hub.Is that the date of manufacture?
20150815_162338.jpg
20150815_162301.jpg
20150815_162324.jpg

The first pic is of a newly shortened mudguard as the original was broken.Looks ok though I think.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Dog sitting today so with no chance of getting out for a ride I did some fettling instead.

For starters the front gear cable on the Hawk (knockabout bike) needed replacing as it was corroded. This turned out to be far worse than it first appeared and was on the verge of snapping so I'm glad I didn't put it off any longer. I bought replacements for both cables but the rear one is still in good condition apart from needing a spot of lubrication. Gear shifts are now like new again.^_^

Next, chains were replaced and hubs serviced on both the Hawk and the Raleigh. The cassette on the Hawk was okay but the one on the Raleigh had gone too far and the chain skipped badly on a short test, so I had to replace that too. Then I had trouble getting the gears to set up afterwards which turned out to be a ball of hair tangled in the upper jockey wheel bearings so the derailleur had to come apart to sort that. Naturally during this operation I dropped the bearing bush which bounced somewhere out of sight into the undergrowth.
facepalm.gif

After trying and failing to find it, the simplest solution seemed to be to fit the new Alivio derailleur that I bought earlier in the year to replace this one when it wore out. This completes the set of Alivio components in the drivetrain and I look forward to trying it out.

The missing bush from the original derailleur was found shortly after I'd finished fitting and setting everything up :rolleyes: so I've cleaned and lubricated it and it'll be good as a spare.

DSC0002668.jpg

I finally have a workstand and it makes tinkering so much easier.:dance:

Edit to add: Rubens (the dog) thinks I've been very boring today and has been sulking.:blush:

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Doesn't it just!I think that's a great piece of kit for the money - and it collapses down. Very pleased with mine.
Yes indeed, not as sturdy as the workshop stands I trained on but plenty sturdy enough for most domestic fettling.:okay: There are some jobs I've been putting off which I may get round to now.;)

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Sunday and working. Part commute by car then the last 6 miles by bike.
Took the opportunity to remove the forks, clean the headset bearings, slap a load of grease all over then re-assemble.
Chain got a wipe after being oiled last week, just to keep it clean (ish).
Removed old frame protection tape on the head tube for the cables and renewed with insulting tape.

Tin Pot

Guru
Worked on the rear wheel:
New inner tube
New tyre
New brake pads

image.jpg

Cleaned chain, cassette and brake set, using soap, water, brush, degreaser, lube, rags...but they didn't clean up as well as Id hoped:
image.jpg

image.jpg

But not bad I suppose!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't have anything to compare it to :smile: It's my first road bike :biggrin:

Tell me they are and that its crucial I buy a new cassette or bad things will happen!
Actually, you do have a comparison ... the shape of the sections between the teeth on the biggest sprocket which look more like what they should do.

If I am right, then your whole transmission will need replacing at some point soonish i.e the chain, cassette and very possibly the rings too. The chain was probably used for too long and has worn the other bits. If you replace chains before they get that bad then you prolong the life of the other, more expensive parts.

If you put a new chain on a worn cassette, it will probably slip straight away. If you keep an old worn chain and put a new cassette on, then the new cassette will get worn very quickly and then you will be back in the same position.

You might as well carry on now though until you start having problems. At some point, the chain will start to slip and then you will have no choice but to replace the parts. Having said that, it can really improve the feel (and sound!) of a bike to replace the worn parts so if you can afford it and it needs doing, go ahead and do it now.

Tin Pot

Guru
Actually, you do have a comparison ... the shape of the sections between the teeth on the biggest sprocket which look more like what they should do.

I don't quite understand that?

I've measured the chain, in metric it's 25.6cm(edited) for ten links so ready to change but shouldn't have destroyed the cassette.

Watched a couple of YouTube clips that talk about building up a trailing edge on the favoured cogs. I'll check for that.

----

In fact looking at the picture pre-clean I posted, the third and fifth cog/sprocket/whatever have a tooth with a corner off.

Hmm. That might've been from the original set up when shifting those middle gears was a problem.

New chain, or new both?

Last edited:
Top Bottom